Reply To: Astronomy, Science and Technology

About Me Forums Scorpio! Astronomy, Science and Technology Reply To: Astronomy, Science and Technology

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Help the Higgs find its siblings!

Interested in joining a citizen science project called HiggsHunters to help CERN locate Higgs boson’s relatives? HiggsHunters.org is looking for people who would like an opportunity to “uncover the building blocks of the universe” and “help search for unkonwn exotic particles in the LHC data!’ By making use of a citizen science platform called Zooniverse, you can help to look for ‘baby Higgs bosons’, which leave a characteristic trace in the ATLAS detector. More than 20000 amateur scientist from 179 nations have scoured images of LHC collisions for the past 2 years in search of still undiscovered particles.
CERN - How the particles appear in the collider
“There are tasks – even in this high-tech world – where the human eye and the human brain simply win out,” says Professor Alan Barr of the University of Oxford, who is leading the project.

The HiggsHunters.org (link is external) project is a collaboration between the University of Oxford and the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom, and NYU in the United States. It makes use of the Zooniverse citizen science platform, which hosts over 40 projects from searches for new astrophysical objects in telescope surveys to following the habits of wildlife in the Serengeti. The HiggsHunters project shows collisions recorded by the ATLAS experiment and uses software and display tools developed by the ATLAS collaboration. The scientists gratefully acknowledge the generous financial support of the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council, the University of Oxford, and Merton College, Oxford.

You can also get involved in other citizen science projects through LHC@home, a volunteer computing platform where you donate idle time on your computer to help physicists compare theory with experiment in the search for new fundamental particles and answers to questions about the Universe. ​

See? I said there was more, and pretty exciting “more” at that, I think. Wouldn’t you agree? 😉