Reply To: Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

About Me Forums Scorpio! Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies Reply To: Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 14, 2012
Rigoglioso says, “I propose that in naming Pergusa as the place of Persephone and the underworld, Ovid was reflecting the archaic understanding that the menstrual, birth-giving womb and the underworld were part of the same realm; the womb was considered the cosmic chamber from which all life issues forth and to which all life returns in death to be born again.” She elaborates on this point when she further relates a point of some interest, that the wing bone or leg bone of various waterbirds are used as drinking straws during the menarche cycle, possibly as a symbolic connection to the waterbirds “which were considered epiphanies of the female divinity.” … “Such a custom would have served as a way of honoring the fact that the girl herself was now taking on the life-giving and death-wielding powers of the Goddess as woman capable of giving birth.”

Similar to the vein of this entire thread, I think of the last two pages of the article that focused on the decline of the Lake Pergusa area. The wildlife has been in steady decline, the fish, the water, even the birds. In about 150 years, the once 21-feet that it had taken to scale from the top of the water to the floor has dropped to a stunning less than 3-feet in depth. (Sorry. I don’t have a full grasp of understanding the metric version of these numbers.) What had been in abundance of wildlife there has significantly diminished or virtually disappeared.

As I read the article, I had even considered the possibility that I was chasing that wild goose, but I wasn’t. The following sentences stand testament to that: “In the mythology, Hades accomplishes the abduction of Persephone into the underworld on a chariot led by ‘fiery steeds.’ Is it merely a bizarre coincidence that Ferarri’s [sic. I know this is incorrect spelling. The article, however, shows this with corrected spelling prior to this. I’m not changing it.] logo resembles Hades’ wild horses as they appear on Enna’s ancient coins? [footnote 96]. And is it merely a bizarre coincidence that the power ultimately backing the Autodrome—the Mafia—is also referred to as the ‘underworld’?

“It seems that the drama of Persephone’s rape and abduction into the underworld is still being enacted at the lake, now in modern garb.”

Maria Cimino, a local ecofeminist, worked feverishly to save the lake and its surroundings as protected. However, although it’s already been proven that the area has the right to protection, illegal activities continue to be practiced there, and she’s received death threats for the dubious honor of her having been recognized.

The entire article focused on Pluto and the affairs of the 8th house. That’s not to say Persephone hasn’t been involved. In fact, she has. It’s also not to say that Persephone can’t be involved when she absolutely can. After all, she is Hades’ wife. But such discussions bring something else to mind: life and death itself and the drama that unfolds when we consider even suicide. Seeing those moments as the points of no return through 8th house interactions, Pluto and/or Persephone might even save a life.

For the first time since I became an astrologer, I find myself exploring this avenue and questioning prior thoughts subscribing to the belief that such studies entered areas that could encroach on one’s ethical standards. Is this perhaps a matter of fate versus free will again? I was raised to believe that we are our brother’s keepers. How can my exploring these options encroach, therefore, on my ethical standards? It seems to me that not doing so would violate those standards.

When combined with the natal chart, the progressions or transits or Solar and Lunar Returns, can we see such events coming? It would seem we could. The telling remains to be seen, but hopefully this is a start.

Thoughts? I would like to hear from you.

Article Citations:
Rigoglioso, Marguerite. “Persephone’s Sacred Lake and the Ancient Female Mystery Religion in the Womb of Sicily.” Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion 21.2 (2005): 5-29. Project MUSE. Web. 14 Oct. 2012. <http://muse.jhu.edu/&gt;

I quoted various passages of this article at the same time I framed the conclusion with copyright in mind. The quotations were for educational and scholastic purpose.

Michelle Young – Oct 16, 2012
An update on the story about Amanda, with a brief video interview with her father. Go to the link and see the three videos. Again, they are not YouTube videos:

http://www.canada.com/Bullying+victim+Amanda+Todd+death+consequence+passive+bystanders+says+expert/7382674/story.html

Bullying victim Amanda Todd’s death a consequence of ‘passive bystanders,’ says expert
By Misty Harris, Postmedia NewsOctober 13, 2012

Canada has “raised a generation of passive bystanders,”
according to a social psychologist who spoke Friday about the tragic
suicide of bullying victim Amanda Todd.
In a live-chat
with Postmedia readers Friday, Brenda Morrison described the
15-year-old’s death as the consequence of a society in which bullying is
considered an institutional problem, as opposed to a community one. She
suggested the solution lies in reframing the issue to emphasize
everyone’s responsibility for the well-being of young people.
“One of the strongest mechanisms to address the problem is for peers to stand up,” wrote Morrison,
an assistant professor in the School of Criminology at Simon Fraser
University. “Communities hold us accountable in ways that institutions
can not.”
Todd, a young woman from B.C., took her own life not long after posting a YouTube video outlining the abuse she endured at the hands of her peers.
Friday’s
online chat was largely dominated by calls to think about bullying as
less of a playground problem than a criminal act – with consequences to
match. One participant supported making bullying a part of a person’s
permanent record, noting that the psychological penalties for victims
are equally long-lasting. Another suggested the people who targeted Todd
be charged with manslaughter.
Copy-cats were also a concern, with
one reader writing: “My fear is that girls that are being bullied are
going to look at this as, ‘people will only care when I am gone.’ ”
Morrison suggested that Canadians focus on creating safer cyberspaces for teenagers, and emphasizing everyone’s role.
“Kids
need to hear the message that (bullying) is not ok from a range of
people,” she wrote. “We need to create communities of care for our young
people … long before the crisis.”
Indeed, the secondary theme of
Friday’s chat was one of compassion, and questions about why the current
outpouring of concern was presumably absent when Todd was in distress.
“If
people ‘cared’ so much about her, why didn’t they do anything to stop
her? … Because I’m sure someone would’ve helped if they truly cared,”
wrote a woman who identified herself as a victim of bullying. “My case
is much like Amanda’s but I never resorted to actually killing myself. I
attempted, yes, but never made it.”
The good news is that
Morrison, an expert on restoring safe school communities, described
Canada as being at a tipping point where things could change for the
better.
“We need to add another layer to the equation of
accountability,” she wrote. “Let’s nurture our instinct for compassion …
We need it to turn the tide.”
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News