Reply To: Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

About Me Forums Scorpio! Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies Reply To: Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 11, 2012
The video is still online. It is the longest of the three in the news article, nearly 9 minutes in length. She is very detailed. Use your best judgment before watching it. The news described the video as gut wrenching. I have to agree.

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 12, 2012
My Orkut fortune today reads, “It isn”t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And
it isn”t enough to believe in it. One must work at it. (Eleanor
Roosevelt)”

That’s how I feel about the role we need to play in suicide prevention.

My search continues… I just wish it didn’t feel like I was talking to myself right now.

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 12, 2012
lol I didn’t type that quote. It’s what I copied and pasted. Seems like they need to find better typists. 😀

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 13, 2012
Boy, maybe I’ll get this edited correctly this time and finally be able to leave the post…

I’m not allowing this or the other new thread to lie fallow for long. In fact, I’ve been quiet not because I’m spent on the subject. I’ve struck gold thanks to someone at the right university with the right connections to get me two amazing theses on both subjects–suicide, and the other one related to Prudence Crandall and Malala. Mind you, I’m sure these studies weren’t intentional that way, but maybe they were. The author of one is a professor and the author of the original article I’d gone searching for when I stumbled on the other article. It really was, as one says, synchronistic.

And those of you who remember the conversations in Scorpio related to Persephone (sigh…I have to sigh…more egg on the face here…the one I tried to say just had no validity for me…boy oh boy she’s come back to haunt me yet again!) may enjoy watching me squirm again as I say the words: Persephone isn’t only a goddess of fertility. She’s also a goddess of the dead.

It’s an interesting journey. I’m following up before I post more. I haven’t disappeared on you. It’s just that there’s more to do till the next
part. Hopefully I’ll have more before the end of the day (it’s already Sunday here too now).

Btw, I hadn’t seen this twist coming in my search at all!

Hopefully I won’t see more editing once I click this copy. lol Geez! lol

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 14, 2012
I am not going to edit this. It was hours in the creation, and the references to “Persephone’s Sacred Lake and the Ancient Female Mystery Religion in the Womb of Sicily” will not be changed. I have to hope and pray that I managed to get all the typos out of the way and already corrected. 🙂

In the course of my finding the other article still to come in the other thread, I stumbled upon “Persephone’s Sacred Lake and the Ancient Female Mystery Religion in the Womb of Sicily.” If for nothing else, my having seen “Persephone” was just enough to make me stop short and follow through with this as well. It turned into a completely unexpected detour that glued me to the pages themselves, and I realized that there was more than meets the eye on the subject of suicide. Of course, the article itself has nothing directly to do with suicide…or does it? Perhaps this is where we need to begin to think outside of the box.

Although this scholarly article opens with a study about Demeter and Persephone, the author, Marguerite Rigoglioso, takes us through a fairly vivid geographic description of the area of Greece where the rites of the followers of Demeter and Persephone took place, Eleusis. Because Greece was a patriarchal society, such rites fell under the dominion of nearby Athens. But Greece wasn’t the only area that saw the followers of Demeter and Persephone. In Italy, in the center of Sicily, about 8 km apart, there are a city and a lake. Rigoglioso focuses on the latter, Lake Pergusa, framing a reference to the possibility of the lake serving as a “symbol of the [divine and human] female body” and carrying the concept further as a sign that this “may once have been the location of a female-centered religion in which girls’ and women’s rites of passage and bodily, psychological, and spiritual experiences were the main focus, and in which women served as principal ministrants.”

Now I’ll grant that this idea seems to have been the impetus for my thoughts from here on because it seems to me that if Persephone is the goddess of fertility and the goddess of death, why would it not therefore make sense that suicide would logically fall in here as well? While Rigoglioso points to the possibility that these (the lake and the city in Sicily and even Eleusis in Greece) may have been sites where a significant amount of female power had been observed. But certainly her noting “the lake’s current environmental degradation and ecofeminist efforts to save it, noting the correspondences between violence against nature and violence against women and all that has been considered ‘feminine'” would be equally important to recognize as well.

She veers in a different direction at this point and takes note of the ecosystem’s natural phenomenon that seems to parallel the human female’s biological system. In line with that, she points out a nearby archaeological dig known as Cozzo Matrice, “hill of the Mother,” another reference to this perhaps being of religious significance for worshippers of female deities. The area, in fact, dates back possibly as early as 4000 BCE. She writes, “The presence of circular enclosures, which in Paleolithic and Neolithic Europe symbolized the “womb” of the female divinity, [footnote 6] suggests that this site was probably sacred to a goddess or goddesses from very early times.”

This theme apparently has been carried out–the mother and the idea that the female was the sacred energy in society and here, men weren’t allowed to look on the statue of Ceres, symbolic of the nurturing mother in asteroid studies for astrology students who elect to explore this avenue. The religious festivals were often marked by the life cycles of human birth, growth and dying in Sicily and in Sicily’s agricultural seasons–especially those related to wheat and barley. Similar patterns appeared to be practiced in Greece. “In Sicily, as elsewhere, Demeter was the goddess of growth and abundance, and Persephone was a goddess of both budding spring and death, or the underworld.” The reference in this last quote points directly to the 8th house and Pluto as well as the house descriptions that would include life, death, the underworld and sexuality.

Rigoglioso points directly to the Roman poet Ovid who points to Lake Pergusa as the exact place where Persephone was abducted, describing the lake as “a remarkable environment filled with forests, waterbirds, and wildly blooming flowers.” In footnote 23, Rigoglioso writes, “23 Numerous references in Greek and Roman literature connect the swan with death. In Plato’s Phaedo, e.g., Socrates says: “[When swans] feel that the time has come for them to die, they sing more loudly and sweetly than they have sung in all their lives before, for joy that they are going away into the presence of the god whose servants they are. . . . [S]wans, belonging as they do to Apollo, have prophetic powers and sing because they know the good things that await them in the unseen world.” See Plato, The Last Days of Socrates, trans. Hugh Tredennick and Harold Tarrant (New York: Penguin, 1993), 144–45. In Greek mythology, various characters are transformed into swans when they die, including Cycnus, son of Ares. See Robert Graves, The Greek Myths (New York: Penguin, 1960), 143.e, 559. According to Ovid, Cycnus transforms into a swan to mourn the death of his close friend Phaethon. See Ovid, Metamorphoses, 2.367–82. The swan is also a death bird in Old European symbolism (Gimbutas, Language of the Goddess, 317) and Eurasian mythology (Marek Zvelebil, lecture on Eurasian shamanism, University of California–Berkeley, April 17, 2001).” The footnote is critically important to this analysis of Persephone–and Pluto, for that matter–since we’re discussing this concept of suicide as it relates to this particular thesis. She writes, “It is important to note that although she embodied the life-giving aspects of springtime, she would have been, at the same time, a goddess of death. Thus, says [Sicilian scholar Giuseppe] Martorana, Kore [Persephone], or some earlier form of her, was probably the original goddess of Lake Pergusa—an independent, free-standing goddess who embodied the totality of the life and death cycle.”

In Shakti Woman (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco, 1991), pages 89–90, Vicki Noble notes “that women ‘probably invented astronomy and astrology’ based on their intimate involvement, through menstruation,” with the cycles of the moon.