Reply To: Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings (May 19, 2012)

About Me Forums Scorpio! Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings (May 19, 2012) Reply To: Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings (May 19, 2012)

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Mar 2

It seems quite appropriate to bring this thread to the surface again at long last. Aamir Khan is back with Season 2, Episode 1 ofSatyamev Jayate. I haven’t yet been able to see the episode since it’s not yet offered with English subtitles, and my Hindi is definitely too poor to follow at such a rapid pace, much less with all of the vocabulary I still have to learn. Nevertheless, it’s an important topic that could have been placed in the thread on Nirbhaya, or even the thread on Malala. It’s a sensitive subject, but important for all of us. 

I’m going to add something here before I offer these posts. It seems relevant to the moment:

“To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man’s injustice to woman. If by strength is meant brute strength, then, indeed, is woman less brute than man. If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man’s superior. Has she not greater intuition, is she not more self-sacrificing, has she not greater powers of endurance, has she not greater courage? Without her, man could not be. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman. Who can make a more effective appeal to the heart than woman?”

[To the Women of India (Young India, Oct. 4, 1930)]”

Gandhiji said (or wrote) that. It seems to me that Aamir Khan in his effort to address women and women’s rights, honors women and the challenges they face in what’s often a hostile world–especially through that first sentence. Thankfully, I have the opportunity to repeat what I’ve said countless times already to individual men as well as here: “Man’s injustice” does not mean all men! I’m blessed to know several even in this community who stand apart and above such injustices. Those men include NitinMurali,AnubhavPuneetVishalKiran, and Sagar.

Aamir Khan’s Satyamev Jayate Season 2 Episode On Rape: What You Missed
By IndiaTimes | March 2, 2014, 1:00 pm IST

Aamir Khan’s talk show ‘Satyamev Jayate’ returned for another season this Sunday and its second innings started with a bang. The first episode focussed on the epidemic of violence against women that has gripped the nation since the horrific Delhi gangrape incident of December 16, 2012. If you didn’t watch the show, here’s what you missed:

The State Of Police Apathy

Aamir highlighted the indifference shown towards victims and their families by police officers who are meant to enforce justice but instead shame and ridicule them. Aamir even interviewed the parents of a girl who committed suicide after being humiliated by officers. Some important information was also shared with viewers about the rights they can exercise against an officer who refuses to file an FIR (such as registering a case against the officer under Section 166A of the Indian Penal Code).

The Re-Rape Of Victims By Doctors

The show examined the hurdles a rape victim goes through during every step she takes following assault. The next segment examined the kind of horrors a rape victim faces at hospitals where she is discouraged by doctors to take up the case and subjected to the humiliating and illegal two finger test. Aamir also interviewed a doctor and activist working to standardize the process doctors must follow when examining a rape victim. Another important piece of information shared was the fact that no hospital, public or private, can refuse a rape victim and they are compelled to examine her in a professional and thorough fashion.