Reply To: On women in the news… (Just women? :o ) (Mar 7, 2013)

About Me Forums Scorpio! On women in the news… (Just women? :o ) (Mar 7, 2013) Reply To: On women in the news… (Just women? :o ) (Mar 7, 2013)

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Michelle Young – Mar 9, 2013
I’ve been playing around with something today since it’s International Women’s Day, and while I’m just getting started with it, I wanted to share this on Women’s Suffrage in America. Maybe this thread is also good for following women’s suffrage throughout the world, if that’s possible, and perhaps other things too. Maybe that’s why I put the title here as I did “on women in the news” instead of referring to suffrage. 🙂 Anyway…

The following has only years mentioned, no actual dates. So I took a stab at one notation I saw and cast a chart for March 8, 1850, at 2:34:49 PM, Binghamton, New York, just a quick look. I’m not all that sure I need to post the chart itself since it’s a hypothetical date, time and place although it happened back then that there was a date and time as I just mentioned in Binghamton, New York, a then-thriving city not terribly far from Seneca Falls, New York, where much of the suffrage movement gained its energy and popularity.

So why March 8, 1850? This is why:

One Hundred Years toward Suffrage: An Overview
Compiled by E. Susan Barber
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/naw/nawstime.html

1820 to 1880
    Evidence from a variety of printed sources published during this period–advice manuals, poetry and literature, sermons, medical texts–reveals that Americans, in general, held highly stereotypical notions about women’s and men’s roles in society. Historians would later term this phenomenon “The Cult of Domesticity.” 

1850 is the midpoint year, so it can give an idea of that period of time, and I found it pretty amazing.

Hmmm…come to think of it, yes, I will post the chart. Give me a minute. I’ll be right back with it and go on from here.

Michelle Young – Mar 9, 2013
Cult of Domesticity – US Women’s Suffrage Movement from period 1820-1880
US Women's Suffrage - Cult of Domesticity