Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

About Me Forums Scorpio! Uranus-Pluto square: Technology takes on suicide – 43 replies

This topic contains 24 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Michelle Young 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 14, 2012
    Rigoglioso says, “I propose that in naming Pergusa as the place of Persephone and the underworld, Ovid was reflecting the archaic understanding that the menstrual, birth-giving womb and the underworld were part of the same realm; the womb was considered the cosmic chamber from which all life issues forth and to which all life returns in death to be born again.” She elaborates on this point when she further relates a point of some interest, that the wing bone or leg bone of various waterbirds are used as drinking straws during the menarche cycle, possibly as a symbolic connection to the waterbirds “which were considered epiphanies of the female divinity.” … “Such a custom would have served as a way of honoring the fact that the girl herself was now taking on the life-giving and death-wielding powers of the Goddess as woman capable of giving birth.”

Similar to the vein of this entire thread, I think of the last two pages of the article that focused on the decline of the Lake Pergusa area. The wildlife has been in steady decline, the fish, the water, even the birds. In about 150 years, the once 21-feet that it had taken to scale from the top of the water to the floor has dropped to a stunning less than 3-feet in depth. (Sorry. I don’t have a full grasp of understanding the metric version of these numbers.) What had been in abundance of wildlife there has significantly diminished or virtually disappeared.

As I read the article, I had even considered the possibility that I was chasing that wild goose, but I wasn’t. The following sentences stand testament to that: “In the mythology, Hades accomplishes the abduction of Persephone into the underworld on a chariot led by ‘fiery steeds.’ Is it merely a bizarre coincidence that Ferarri’s [sic. I know this is incorrect spelling. The article, however, shows this with corrected spelling prior to this. I’m not changing it.] logo resembles Hades’ wild horses as they appear on Enna’s ancient coins? [footnote 96]. And is it merely a bizarre coincidence that the power ultimately backing the Autodrome—the Mafia—is also referred to as the ‘underworld’?

“It seems that the drama of Persephone’s rape and abduction into the underworld is still being enacted at the lake, now in modern garb.”

Maria Cimino, a local ecofeminist, worked feverishly to save the lake and its surroundings as protected. However, although it’s already been proven that the area has the right to protection, illegal activities continue to be practiced there, and she’s received death threats for the dubious honor of her having been recognized.

The entire article focused on Pluto and the affairs of the 8th house. That’s not to say Persephone hasn’t been involved. In fact, she has. It’s also not to say that Persephone can’t be involved when she absolutely can. After all, she is Hades’ wife. But such discussions bring something else to mind: life and death itself and the drama that unfolds when we consider even suicide. Seeing those moments as the points of no return through 8th house interactions, Pluto and/or Persephone might even save a life.

For the first time since I became an astrologer, I find myself exploring this avenue and questioning prior thoughts subscribing to the belief that such studies entered areas that could encroach on one’s ethical standards. Is this perhaps a matter of fate versus free will again? I was raised to believe that we are our brother’s keepers. How can my exploring these options encroach, therefore, on my ethical standards? It seems to me that not doing so would violate those standards.

When combined with the natal chart, the progressions or transits or Solar and Lunar Returns, can we see such events coming? It would seem we could. The telling remains to be seen, but hopefully this is a start.

Thoughts? I would like to hear from you.

Article Citations:
    Rigoglioso, Marguerite. “Persephone’s Sacred Lake and the Ancient Female Mystery Religion in the Womb of Sicily.” Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion 21.2 (2005): 5-29. Project MUSE. Web. 14 Oct. 2012. < http://muse.jhu.edu/&gt;

I quoted various passages of this article at the same time I framed the conclusion with copyright in mind. The quotations were for educational and scholastic purpose.

Michelle Young – Oct 16, 2012
    An update on the story about Amanda, with a brief video interview with her father. Go to the link and see the three videos. Again, they are not YouTube videos:

http://www.canada.com/Bullying+victim+Amanda+Todd+death+consequence+passive+bystanders+says+expert/7382674/story.html

Bullying victim Amanda Todd’s death a consequence of ‘passive bystanders,’ says expert
    By Misty Harris, Postmedia NewsOctober 13, 2012

Canada has “raised a generation of passive bystanders,”
    according to a social psychologist who spoke Friday about the tragic
    suicide of bullying victim Amanda Todd.
    In a live-chat
    with Postmedia readers Friday, Brenda Morrison described the
    15-year-old’s death as the consequence of a society in which bullying is
    considered an institutional problem, as opposed to a community one. She
    suggested the solution lies in reframing the issue to emphasize
    everyone’s responsibility for the well-being of young people.
    “One of the strongest mechanisms to address the problem is for peers to stand up,” wrote Morrison,
    an assistant professor in the School of Criminology at Simon Fraser
    University. “Communities hold us accountable in ways that institutions
    can not.”
    Todd, a young woman from B.C., took her own life not long after posting a YouTube video outlining the abuse she endured at the hands of her peers.
    Friday’s
    online chat was largely dominated by calls to think about bullying as
    less of a playground problem than a criminal act – with consequences to
    match. One participant supported making bullying a part of a person’s
    permanent record, noting that the psychological penalties for victims
    are equally long-lasting. Another suggested the people who targeted Todd
    be charged with manslaughter.
    Copy-cats were also a concern, with
    one reader writing: “My fear is that girls that are being bullied are
    going to look at this as, ‘people will only care when I am gone.’ ”
    Morrison suggested that Canadians focus on creating safer cyberspaces for teenagers, and emphasizing everyone’s role.
    “Kids
    need to hear the message that (bullying) is not ok from a range of
    people,” she wrote. “We need to create communities of care for our young
    people … long before the crisis.”
    Indeed, the secondary theme of
    Friday’s chat was one of compassion, and questions about why the current
    outpouring of concern was presumably absent when Todd was in distress.
    “If
    people ‘cared’ so much about her, why didn’t they do anything to stop
    her? … Because I’m sure someone would’ve helped if they truly cared,”
    wrote a woman who identified herself as a victim of bullying. “My case
    is much like Amanda’s but I never resorted to actually killing myself. I
    attempted, yes, but never made it.”
    The good news is that
    Morrison, an expert on restoring safe school communities, described
    Canada as being at a tipping point where things could change for the
    better.
    “We need to add another layer to the equation of
    accountability,” she wrote. “Let’s nurture our instinct for compassion …
    We need it to turn the tide.”
    © Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 22, 2012
    I found something a while ago and debated where I’d put this, if it ever would work here. The song is beautiful, the singer–Yemenite Israeli Ofra Haza–both beautiful and extraordinary, and the message is profound. In all fairness to the song’s message,I could have just as easily put this in the Malala Yousafzai and Prudence Crandall thread, or here, in suicide thread. It’s that powerful. The song talks about the oppression of the woman, and it talks about the consequences of actions, and that’s why this thread is equally important.
    I warn you: the message is not pretty and gentle but it’s needed because of the subject.

Back in ancient time
    Loving was a crime
    For a single girl
    Like the beautiful
    Daw Da Hiya
    Sisters barred her way
    But she couldn’t wait
    She spurned her father’s hand
    And took her man
    Despite tradition –

LA’AD TIZINI WALA’AD TIRTIHI
    WA DAW DA HIYA ASAL MA’AN DZHA LIHIS
    DAW DA HIYA
    ACHAD GALBEH URACH
    ACHAD GALBEH URACH
    WALYOM MITEL CHASA
    WALYOM MA’AN DZHA TISS

DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    Her passion drove her wild
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    Her love was suicide

– Love comes with a price
    They came for her one night
    For her family’s shame
    She had to face
    The judge’s might
    Now she was with child
    No one was at her side
    When the judge declared
    That she must die…
    Tradition… –

LAMAT LAMAT LAMAT WALA FASHE SHAMAT
    GUMI TATARI GUMI UTATARI YA DIN
    DAW DA HIYA
    WI DARDE HU BICH ILA ILA WADI BANA
    WILYOM KULANA NEA’AZI ALECHK
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    Her love was suicide

– In a time and place
    Where a woman can’t show her face
    Her life is ruled by men
    That shouldn’t happen again. –

DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    DAW DA HIYA
    Her love was suicide

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 27, 2012
    This thread seems to be overlapping on a few other threads, including the one on Female Exploitation and perhaps even the Malala thread since that too was addressing bullying in the sense of trying to make women subservient to men. This is in yesterday’s New York Times on rape in India.

I don’t think we can discuss suicide without noting how suicide stops nothing. It can delay the inevitable and force a family to confront the same things the individual who committed suicide couldn’t face:

A Village Rape Shatters a Family, and India’s Traditional Silence
    By Jim Yardley
    Published October 27, 2012

DABRA, India — One after the other, the men raped her. They had dragged the girl into a darkened stone shelter at the edge of the fields, eight men, maybe more, reeking of pesticide and cheap whiskey. They assaulted her for nearly three hours. She was 16 years old.

When it was over, the men threatened to kill her if she told anyone, and for days the girl said nothing. Speaking out would have been difficult, anyway, given the hierarchy of caste. She was poor and a Dalit, the low-caste group once known as untouchables, while most of the attackers were from a higher caste that dominated land and power in the village.

It might have ended there, if not for the videos: her assailants had taken cellphone videos as trophies, and the images began circulating among village men until one was shown to the victim’s father, his family said. Distraught, the father committed suicide on Sept. 18 by drinking pesticide. Infuriated, Dalits demanded justice in the rape case.

“We thought, We lost my husband, we lost our honor,” the mother of the rape victim said. “What is the point of remaining silent now?”

As in many countries, silence often follows rape in India, especially in villages, where a rape victim is usually regarded as a shamed woman, unfit for marriage. But an outcry over a string of recent rapes, including this one, in the northern state of Haryana, has shattered that silence, focusing national attention on India’s rising number of sexual assaults
    while also exposing the conservative, male-dominated power structure in Haryana, where rape victims are often treated with callous disregard.

In a rapidly changing country, rape cases have increased at an alarming rate, roughly 25 percent in six years. To some degree, this reflects a rise in reporting by victims. But India’s changing gender dynamic is also a significant factor, as more females are attending school, entering the work force or choosing their own spouses — trends that some men regard as a threat.

India’s news media regularly carry horrific accounts of gang rapes, attacks once rarely seen. Sometimes, gangs of young men stumble upon a young couple — in some cases the couple is meeting furtively in a conservative society — and then rape the woman. Analysts also point to
    demographic trends: India has a glut of young males, some unemployed, abusing alcohol or drugs and unnerved by the new visibility of women in society.

“This visibility is seen as a threat and a challenge,” said Ranjana Kumari, who runs the Center for Social Research in New Delhi.

In Haryana, the initial response to the rape after it was disclosed ranged from denial to denouncing the media to blaming the victim. A spokesman for the governing Congress Party was quoted as saying that 90 percent of rape cases begin as consensual sex. Women’s groups were outraged after a village leader pointed to teenage girls’ sexual desire as the reason for the rapes.

“I think that girls should be married at the age of 16, so that they have their husbands for their sexual needs, and they don’t need to go elsewhere,” the village leader, Sube Singh, told IBN Live, a news channel. “This way rapes will not occur.”

The most vulnerable women are poor Dalits, the lowest tier of the social structure. Of 19 recent rape cases in Haryana, at least six victims were Dalits. One Dalit teenager in Haryana committed suicide, setting herself afire, after being gang-raped. Another Dalit girl, 15, who was mentally handicapped, was raped in Rohtak, according to Indian news media accounts, the same district where a 13-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a neighbor.

“If you are a poor woman who is raped, you cannot even imagine a life where there will be justice,” Kalpana Sharma, a columnist, wrote recently in The Hindu, a national English-language newspaper. “If you are a poor woman and a Dalit, then the chances of justice are even slimmer.”

Haryana is one of India’s most entrenched bastions of feudal patriarchy. The social preference for sons has contributed to a problem of some couples aborting female fetuses, leaving Haryana with the most skewed gender ratio in India, 861 females for every 1,000 males. Politically,
    the upper Jat caste largely controls a statewide network of unelected, all-male councils known as khap panchayats, which dominate many rural regions of the state. Elected leaders are reluctant to confront the khaps, given their ability to turn out voters, and often endorse their conservative social agenda, in which women are subservient to men. Khaps have sought to ban women from wearing bluejeans or using cellphones. One khap member, Jitender Chhatar, blamed fast food for the rise in rape cases, arguing that it caused hormonal imbalances and sexual urges in young women. Mr. Singh, who suggested lowering the legal marriage age, is also a khap leader.

“They are working the blame-the-victim theory,” said Jagmati Sangwan, president of the Haryana chapter of the All-India Democratic Women’s Association. “They are diverting attention from the crime and the criminals, and the root causes.”

Yet public anger is clearly bubbling up. Small protests have been staged across the state, including one this month in the town of Meham, where about 100 men and women picketed the district police headquarters over the rape of a 17-year-old girl. They waved signs demanding “Arrest Rapists!” and “Justice for Women” and chanted “Down with Haryana Police!”

Here in Dabra, about 100 miles from the Pakistan border, villagers say there is no khap panchayat but rather an elected village council where the leadership position, known as sarpanch, is reserved for a woman under nationwide affirmative action policies. Yet the male-dominated ethos prevails. The current sarpanch is the wife of a local Jat leader, who put her forward to circumvent the restriction. During an interview with the husband, the official sarpanch sat silently in the doorway, her face covered by a gauzy scarf.

“No, no,” she answered when asked to comment, as she pointed to her husband. “He’s the sarpanch. What’s the point in talking to me?”

The gang-rape of the 16-year-old girl occurred on Sept. 9 but remained a secret in the village until her father’s suicide. Dalits formed a committee to demand justice, and roughly 400 people demonstrated outside the district police headquarters, as well as at the hospital where the father’s body was being kept.

“We told them that unless you catch the suspects, we would not take the body,” said a woman named Maya Devi. “We do not have land. We do not have money. What we have is honor. If your honor is gone, you have nothing.”

Since then, the police have arrested eight men — seven of them Jats — who have confessed to the attack. There are discrepancies; the victim says she was abducted outside the village, while the suspects say they attacked her after catching her having a tryst with a married man.

“She was raped against her will,” said B. Satheesh Balan, the district superintendent of police. “There is no doubt.”

Officer Balan said villagers told the police that other local girls had also been gang-raped at the same stone shelter, though no evidence was available. Often, a girl’s family will hide a rape rather than be stigmatized in the village. Even sympathizers of the teenage victim
    doubt she can assimilate back into Dabra.

“It will be difficult on her,” Ms. Devi said. “Now she is branded.”

In an interview at her grandparents’ home outside the village, the victim said she believed other suspects remained at large, leaving her at risk. (Female police officers have been posted at the house round-the-clock.) Yet she has actively pushed the police and joined in the protests, despite the warnings by her attackers.

“They threatened me and said they would kill my family if I told anyone,” she said.

Many Dalit girls drop out of school, but the victim was finishing high school. Even in the aftermath of the rape, she took her first-term exams in economics, history and Sanskrit. But she no longer wants to return to the village school and is uncertain about her future.

“Earlier, I had lots of dreams,” she said. “Now I’m not sure I’ll be able to fulfill them. My father wanted me to become a doctor. Now I don’t think I’ll be able to do it.”
    Hari Kumar contributed from Dabra.
    ©2012 The New York Times Company

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/world/asia/a-village-rape-shatters-a-family-and-indias-traditional-silence.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&smid=fb-share#h

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaOct 29, 2012
    This is 2012. Shame on people who think of certain caste as ‘low caste’ and ‘untouchables’. Michelle, where I am from I have never heard of caste system and all that except in the history books. I grew up in a city and there no one cared if one was Hindu, Muslim, or Christian. Most of my best friends are Hindus. So with just text book knowledge on caste system, I was quite surprised when a girl I know told me (she grew up some village in Kerala and is a Christian) that her family had slaves who were lower castes and they were not allowed inside this girl’s house. The girl and her sisters were not allowed to talk to any of these people either. I heard about this from her few months ago. My jaw pretty much dropped and I told her she needs to be ashamed of calling them slaves… I get very angry when I hear things like this and some stupid people think that they are better than others because they belong to “HIGHER” castes, which is NOT defined by GOD….
    Michelle

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 29, 2012
    You know I feel the same, Irene. Thank you. I deeply value your thoughts and would hope we all will.

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungOct 31, 2012
    The following was produced in Spain. It needs no translation. The note says, “Lo siento. Te quiero.” In English, “I’m sorry. I love you.” In Spanish, “te quiero” comes from the verb “to want” so this is something one doesn’t say if one doesn’t mean it, obviously. It’s not for liking…it’s for the remembering what we’re talking about

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJan 6, 2013
    Frankly, I couldn’t decide whether to put this in the Malala thread, this one, or the gang rape thread. This just felt like the most logical place, but I worry that I’ll be dotting back and forth in my effort to do the weaving as this new subject shows up. If I stuck with the gang rape thread, load of valuable information might otherwise be lot. It seems best here no matter what kinds of rationalization I do to move it.

The following picture showed up in one of my least favorites today. By now you probably know which one. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out. Still it’s a story that needs to be shared as well, so I’m sharing:
    Gulabi Gang
    “This is pretty much as badass as imaginable–

“The Gulabi gang (from Hindi gulabi, “pink”, transln. “pink gang”) is a group of women vigilantes and activists originally from Banda in Bundelkhand district, Uttar Pradesh, India, but reported to be active across North India as of 2010. It is named after the pink saris worn by its members.

The gang was founded in 2006 by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother
    of five and former government health worker (and a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women. Gulabis visit abusive husbands and beat them up with laathis (bamboo sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. In 2008, they stormed an electricity office in Banda district and forced officials to turn back the power they had cut in order to extract bribes. They have also stopped child marriages and protested dowry and female illiteracy.””

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJan 9, 2013
    This morning, I learned that a friend of mine in India tried to kill himself last night. He apparently almost succeeded. He’s in the hospital. I never looked at Nagendra’s chart for suicide when the police said it but I felt compelled to do so with this friend’s chart today because a mutual friend, another astrologer, in fact, had told me and was also concerned and had asked me to look at the chart. I wasn’t even told the country. I just knew who it was.

I looked at the Solar Return for last year (2012) after refreshing my memory of the natal chart. He has a late Pisces rising in the natal chart with the equatorial ascendant at 29 Pisces 00. That’s the 12th house from the natural zodiacal chart. The natal MC, also shows that 29° point, this time in Sagittarius.

The first thing I noticed in the comparison was the SR Moon conjunct the natal Ascendant within 1°17′, nearly partile. He’s not quite at his Saturn return…almost. November 2014 is the first precise hit. I haven’t looked beyond that. So Saturn isn’t playing a role yet, but it’s close enough for me to at least mull it over. On the other hand, transiting Uranus was already within a partile conjunction to his natal Venus retrograde and Mercury, which are in a 7-minute partile conjunction. And then there’s the matter of his natal Chiron conjunct the 2012 Solar Return South Node with a partile conjunction of 9 minutes in the natal 3rd house. I do think that’s important. He’s been put down and “beaten” (figuratively or literally) so long, he just wanted to stop the pain and there you have his wounding.

The good news is that the South Node is retrograde and won’t be back there for many many years. But it’s a painful point even on the retrograde.

Transiting Uranus is also squaring his natal Neptune. While he rejected any kind of belief in astrology, I always found it interesting that he asked about various aspects from time to time. What’s also interesting to me is the SR Mars in the natal 6th in opposition to SR Neptune in the natal 12th. That 6/12 axis is so important!

When I turned the chart to reveal the SR in the center, the 7th house was rising in Libra with the natal Moon conjunct the 7th house cusp of the SR chart. That natal Venus Rx-Mercury conjunct to SR Uranus falls in the 6th house. Remember, the 6th house and 12th house aren’t just about health and hospitals. The 12th is actually the most important here. (I know another person who has a natal Mars-Neptune square, and the 12th house is involved there too with Neptune in the 12th. The person is psychic–but arguments and any other kind of stress/tension/fear like that brings on horrendous headaches.)

Now, this past Monday, Pluto reconnected with the SR transit of Pluto which was conjunct the Solar Return IC at the time of the birthday. And yet, just two days later, the native is in the hospital.

SR Uranus is transiting the 1st house of the natal chart, conjunct that natal Venus-Mercury conjunction. Freedom is written all over this chart, but not in the sense of suicide, I don’t believe. That was a desperate plea for help. He’s looking to make changes. I have no doubt he was so desperate last night that he didn’t feel he had choices left. To speak to him, he is normally so well-mannered and affable and wouldn’t deliberately hurt anyone. In fact, he enjoys many things I suspect the father would have put down as not being work up to a man’s “stature.” But gender preferences don’t even enter into this. It’s that this person hasn’t developed in the way his father wants him to have done. Yet the native enjoys soccer and cricket, like any other guy. He loves music, and he enjoys cooking. From my paternal heritage, the best chefs are men.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever analyzed the charts without showing the chart. I will not identify him. I can’t. I’ve deliberately kept his location vague for the same reason, but hopefully I’ve given enough to hold your interest. Before Lois Rodden died, she said it wouldn’t be her time till Jupiter conjuncted her descendant (a point that was rectified in fact because her own birth time was never known). And sure enough, Lois moved on when Jupiter conjuncted her descendant, I believe on the very day she had said was going to be the time.

I don’t see that it’s this native’s time to go. Jupiter is doing nice things…sextiles…Uranus is challenging, and he’s going to have to face up to that challenge. The SR Moon is squaring the Solar Return IC, where SR Pluto sits. He’s got a lot of fight left in him.

For his sake, please take time to send good, healing thoughts to him, won’t you?

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJan 10, 2013
    Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
    For the break that will make it ok
    There’s always some reason to feel not good enough
    And it’s hard at the end of the day
    I need some distraction oh beautiful release
    Memories seep from my veins
    They may be empty and weightless and maybe
    I’ll find some peace tonight

In the arms of an Angel fly away from here
    From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
    You’re in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
    There’s vultures and thieves at your back
    The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
    That you make up for all that you lack
    It don’t make no difference, escaping one last time
    It’s easier to believe
    In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
    That brings me to my knees

In the arms of an Angel far away from here
    From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
    In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

You’re in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaJan 14, 2013
    The following headline from CNN today came to my mind when I saw this thread:
    Internet prodigy, activist Aaron Swartz commits suicide

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJan 14, 2013
    I hadn’t seen that, Irene. Thank you!

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungMar 20, 2013
    I don’t call this minor news, but I’m not really sure where to put it either. It’s epidemic, just not the way in which it happened… I almost put it in Incoming: Astrology Domine! because it is so unusual. But isn’t every suicide unique in some way?

And this thread is related to the Uranus-Pluto square and the battle of technology and suicide. A 13-page note? Surely that was done on a computer… While there was a time I could imagine writing a 13-page letter by hand, my jaw drops at such a thought today. Maybe I’d feel differently if I had a table where I could write. Right now, that’s a luxury. At any rate…here’s the story…

It’s from Fox News in Cleveland. I usually don’t even acknowledge the existence of Fox, but this should have had more coverage than it received…and all of Fox in one city isn’t the same as Fox anywhere else, so I’ll give it a try.

13-Page Suicide Note

Posted on: 3:28 pm, March 15, 2013, by Kara Sutyak, updated on: 05:51pm, March 15, 2013

A 13-page suicide note is left behind after a woman plunged to her death from the eighth floor of an apartment building in New York, with her baby clutched in her arms.

The 10-month-old boy miraculously survived and was in critical but stable condition at a Harlem hospital Thursday, police said.

A New York police spokesman confirmed that the woman left behind a suicide note.

Bystanders were shocked when they saw the 45-year-old mother fall Wednesday afternoon.

“I wish I never witnessed that,” Steven Dominguez told CNN affiliate WPIX. “It’s disturbing, and horrible. The baby bounced off her chest onto the floor, face down and was crying. My mother tried to pick up the baby, but there was already a detective there.”

Earlier, neighbor said he heard yelling coming from the woman’s apartment before she fell.

The woman was arguing with a man, said Christian Johnson, a neighbor.

“I came home, they were arguing,” Johnson told WPIX. “I actually stopped to listen, and I heard screaming and the baby was crying. He just kept saying why wouldn’t you pick up the phone, why would you put that stress on me? Why wouldn’t you pick up the phone, why, why? He was screaming, ‘why, why’?”

Police did not release the name of the victim, but neighbors said she was a lawyer and was married.
    By CNN’s Julie Cannold and Lateef Mungin
    FOX 8 contributed to this report

http://fox8.com/2013/03/15/13-page-suicide-note/
    © 2013, WJW

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungMar 26
    I debated about making another thread called “Suicide is a Global Problem” and, while the title is a good one in my mind, I can’t. Suicide is mentioned so much in several threads here, with the plethora of suicide bombers and suicides related to rape, to bullying, to abuse, to any number of issues including the economic stresses of Indian farmers, I simply can’t open a new thread without negating all of the other suicides noted in this thread and the others. However, this will be the global problem one with technology potentially taking a back seat. don’t take that as a negation of the seriousness of the problem. It’s simply because everywhere we look, the issue is prevalent.

The following took place today (my today…it was on the 25th).

1 dead, 4 injured in New Brunswick train station incident; NJ Transit resumes service after delays

Originally published: March 25, 2014 6:06 PM
    Updated: March 25, 2014 8:59 PM

NEW BRUNSWICK – Multiple people have been injured after witnesses say a man leaned into the path of a train at an NJ Transit station.

A New York-bound train with 300 people aboard struck a man who had been standing on the platform. Officials say he was killed, and four passengers on the platform were struck by body parts. Three people were taken to Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center. One refused treatment.

No one on the train was injured.

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/1-dead-4-injured-in-new-brunswick-train-station-incident-nj-transit-resumes-service-after-delays-1.7502068
    © 2014 News 12 Interactive LLC

New Jersey – Suicide by Train

Suicide by Train
    There’s a video on the page for this story that talks about this having been a suicide “just before 5.” I debated about the time. They wouldn’t have said “just before 5” if it had been closer to 4:30. So the time had to have been after 4:45. I used 4:50 and 4:55 and chose arbitrarily to use 4:55. The two charts are not appearing significantly changed enough to linger on which time was most likely the one.

I will be analyzing this chart today. I’ve got several posts I need to make today. Astounding ones that will require my attention and analysis so I need to get to sleep and get some decent hours in, and it’s already 3:15. I’ll post the rest of this, sleep, and then return for the analysis later.

I have to tell you, as I read these stories, my jaw dropped. Where I live, stories like these are incredibly rare. But I live in a small community. Major cities tend to have the jawdroppers more readily. But this news, not “just” a suicide. This is straight out of a horror flick. Be forewarned. I’m going to show two more stories, one more detailed than the one I just showed. The other on some shocking news that simply boggles the mind. It’s all related to suicide.

Man Struck, Killed By NJ TRANSIT Train In New Brunswick; 3 Hurt By Flying Body Parts
    March 25, 2014 11:23 PM

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A man was struck and killed as he leaned into the path of a NJ TRANSIT train at the New Brunswick station Tuesday afternoon.

Three others were hospitalized after they were hit by the man’s flying body parts.

As CBS 2’s Tracee Carrasco reported, the accident happened just before 5 p.m. Tuesday. A Penn Station-bound Northeast Corridor train hit and killed the man, according to NJ TRANSIT.

The man was not on the tracks. Eyewitnesses said he was leaning into the path of the train from the platform when he was struck.

The train came to a sudden stop when the man was struck. Jill Tice walked up moments afterward.

“When I got to the platform and looked down, I could see the trail marks; blood, as if somebody was dragged. And then I saw the cell phone, his hat, his gloves,” she said.

Four others were struck by parts of the man’s body when the train hit him. One refused medical attention, while three others were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick with non-life-threatening injuries.

“They were on stretchers — and one guy was just, you know, laying straight, but his eyes were open. He had the neck brace on,” Tice said.

As WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman reported, it was a sickening scene by all accounts. Eddie Williams, who was standing at nearby, said he did not know why the man leaned off the platform.

“Really hard to say because he was leaning, and he never really left his feet,” he said.

About 300 customers were on the train at the time. No one on the train was injured, NJ TRANSIT said.

The riders were later transferred onto a different train so they could continue on.

“They didn’t tell us what happened,” said Lola Leo of New Brunswick. “They just said an Amtrak train got delayed and stopped, and we would have to wait and we would have to wait a few more minutes. But it was pretty slow.”

While investigators spent much of the evening on the platform — frequent train passengers worried Tuesday night how an accident like this could happen.

“I have not seen someone stand that close to the train on the platform, because there is a warning sign, and common sense would tell you not to stand close to that place,” Leo said.

“There’s nowhere to step back from the train when you can actually feel the train pulling you in, and they need to do something about that,” added Tice.

Following the accident, Northeast Corridor service was suspended between Penn Station and Trenton. Amtrak service was also affected.

Service later resumed, but was delayed for hours afterward.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/25/at-least-3-hurt-at-nj-transit-station-in-new-brunswick-trains-halted/
    ©2014 CBS Local Media

NJ Transit troubled by rise in rail suicides
    October 20, 2013
    , 11:36 PM Last updated: Monday, October 21, 2013, 12:02 AM
    By JIM NORMAN
    staff writer
    The Record

Train Station Suicide Prevention Posters
    Train Station Suicide Prevention Poster
    Michael Karas/Staff Photographer
    NJ Transit has posted the suicide hotline number at all of its 164 rail stations, such as this sign at the Rutherford Train Station, and is working with local and state suicide prevention agencies to promote suicide awareness.

Some people lie on the tracks in the path of an oncoming train. Some walk defiantly in the direction of a train as it hurtles toward them, or stand in place until they can look directly into the eyes of the terrified engineer.

Others walk along the tracks listening to music through earbuds, purposefully oblivious to the approaching train that will end their life.

However they do it, suicides by train are on the upswing in New Jersey, leading NJ Transit and the state Department of Human Services to work together with a sense of urgency on new programs aimed at stemming the tragic trend.

According to NJ Transit, 27 people have been fatally struck by the agency’s trains so far this year. Confirmed or possible suicides accounted for 21 of those deaths; six have been classified as accidental or of undetermined cause. Of the nine deaths so far this year on NJ Transit’s rail lines in Bergen and Passaic counties, all but one have been classified as confirmed or possible suicides, said agency spokesman John Durso Jr.

While the total number of deaths this year is not out of line with figures from recent years, suicides already far exceed those recorded in each of the last five years, Durso said.

Last year, 16 people committed suicide and one was killed by accident. Thirteen deaths were classified as confirmed or possible suicides in each of the preceding three years — 2011, 2010 and 2009 — Durso said, and 12 deaths were classified as suicides in 2008.

In the most recent instance of a suicide by train in North Jersey, a 39-year-old Dumont man lay on the tracks last Monday as a Newark-bound CSX freight train consisting of two locomotives and 89 cars carrying new automobiles bore down on him at the West Madison Avenue crossing in Dumont. Witness screamed at the man in a vain effort to get him to move, but the train was unable to stop in time and thundered over him, authorities said.

CSX officials were not immediately available to quantify the suicide problem as it relates to the freight carrier’s tracks and trains.

Durso said NJ Transit “has employed a focus toward preventing accidental injuries and deaths along the systems we operate.”

Those efforts seemed to be reflected in the numbers, at least until they started rising again this year. Accidental deaths by train along the agency’s rail lines spiked at 16 in 2009, and they had dropped steadily to just one last year before rising again to six so far this year, Durso said.

It’s impossible to say what may be behind the rise in train suicides, but it may simply be a reflection of an apparent increase in suicide in general. A recent analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that the annual suicide rate for people between ages 35 and 64 increased by more than 28 percent from 1999 to 2010.

And experts working with organizations to combat the rising trend say there is some concern that media reports may lead to an increase in so-called “copycat” suicides.

“We’re very concerned that media reporting about a particular method of suicide increases the likelihood of using that method,” said Jill Harkavy-Friedman, senior director of research for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Harkavy-Friedman cited a recent article in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health titled “Increasing Railway Suicide after Acts of Media Coverage,” which concluded that “media coverage of a fatal accident appears to affect subsequent railway suicide numbers.”

Phil Lubitz, the associate director of the New Jersey chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, said he has noticed what he called a “contagion” of people committing suicide by standing in front of trains, and also jumping off bridges.

“Sometimes a suicide will lead to another suicide, and that also can contribute to the method of suicide,” he said.

Lubitz said media attention can help spur policymakers to take steps to prevent suicides, including increasing security in the locations where they take place. He questioned whether many people know about a new state suicide-prevention hotline.

“We need to bring attention to it,” he said. “We need to do a better job of advertising suicide hotlines.”

In an effort to combat the rise in track suicides, Durso said NJ Transit has posted the suicide hotline number at all of its 164 rail stations and is working with local and state suicide prevention agencies to promote suicide awareness.

The placard advertising the NJ Hopeline says in large type, “You’re Not Alone,” and asks, “Feeling Desperate, Depressed or Suicidal?” It features the telephone number 855-654-6735.

The Hopeline, which is the state’s first suicide hotline, went into service on May 1. People who call the hotline, which is operated by Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care, are connected to a trained professional or volunteer and never to an automated routing device, said Jennifer Velez, commissioner of the state Department of Human Services.

“It’s important for residents who are feeling alone, desperate or in distress to have a safe outlet,” Velez said. “Using trained counselors who are based in New Jersey helps callers to relate easier and can help lead to fewer suicides.”

Among its efforts to call attention to unsafe conditions around train tracks, NJ Transit makes presentations at schools, and has produced three short videos, which can be viewed on its website, njtransit.com.

In one of them, titled “It’s Your Choice,” a train engineer, Melvin Caban, tells of the experience of hitting a person on the tracks. “One moment, you’re running your train,” Caban says. “The next moment, you see something quickly, something get in front of your train. Then you hear a thump. At that point, you’re wondering what could it have been. But you know what you saw.”

Another NJ Transit engineer, Tom Haas, appears in a video called “You Don’t Win.”

“Once I’ve applied the emergency brake, there’s nothing more I can do,” Haas says in the video. “That sickening thump that you know is somebody’s life has just ended.”

Lt. Richard Marinelli of the NJ Transit police is shown in a film called “You’re Dead” holding up a small plastic sandwich bag. “Once you’re hit by a train,” Marinelli says, “this is the size bag that we’ll use to collect what’s left of you on the tracks.”

Staff Writer Abbott Koloff contributed to this article.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-transit-troubled-by-rise-in-rail-suicides-1.597725
    © 2014 North Jersey Media Group

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

The following is the full article, but the headline says the most important facts…

Report: NYC Public Schools Have Seen 10 Student Suicides In 7 Weeks
    March 23, 2014 12:11 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina said she feels “heartsick” over the fact that 10 public school students have committed suicide since she took office less than two months ago.

According to a report in the New York Post, Farina discussed the suicide epidemic during a private meeting with new school principals on Saturday.

The statistic has not been made public. The Post said it received a recording of Farina’s comments delivered at the prestigious Stuyvesant High School.

“As chancellor, I’ve been on the job seven weeks, and there have already been 10 reported suicides. We cannot allow those,” Farina said, according to the paper. “I get those e-mails all the time. And it makes me heartsick.”

A Department of Education spokesperson later confirmed none of the suicides in 2014 have happened on school property.

Farina urged the principals she was addressing to identify the lonely and troubled kids and reach out to them.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/23/report-nyc-public-schools-have-seen-10-student-suicides-in-7-weeks/
    ©2014 CBS Local Media

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungApr 13
    Marine struggles in fight of his life
    By THOMAS BRENNAN – Daily News Staff
    Published: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 06:37 AM.

It was a sensation that Marine Staff Sgt. Javier Jimenez could physically feel: the weight of life was literally crushing him.

“You start running out of air, the room starts getting smaller around you and your heart starts pounding,” Jimenez said, describing the “horrible” feeling that overwhelmed him. “You’re more hopeless than you have ever been before. You start worrying about the next day, wondering if you are going to make it there because all you want to do is die.”

For years, 34-year-old Jimenez, an infantry Marine who is currently transitioning to Wounded Warrior Battalion East, has dealt with thoughts of suicide as a means to escape his overwhelming anxiety. Diagnosed with psychosis, a mood disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and an anxiety disorder, Jimenez said he is constantly battling the urge to end his own life. It won’t be by his own hand though, he said, and he’s never physically hurt himself. Instead, Jimenez engages in risky behavior that he said he hopes will result in an accident that kills him.

“Even in Afghanistan, I would walk in the open trying to get shot at,” he said. “I was putting myself in risky situations because I wouldn’t kill myself, but the whole time I wanted to die. I just want to be put out of my misery.”

His risky behavior in combat carried over to daily life, he said. Feeling as though he has no control over his life, Jimenez said living for tomorrow has become increasingly difficult with each passing day, especially now that he is not actively participating in infantry training.

“Fighting with yourself to live to the next day isn’t a way to live your life,” he said. “Sometimes you spend the whole day thinking about suicide — every single second. When you get out and put yourself in that risky situation, you feel a rush. It’s the only time you feel alive. Cutting it close is the only time you don’t want to die because you finally feel alive. Not wanting to die is a good feeling, and I try to feel it as much as possible.”

But he’s not without hope — or help.

He said the treatment he has received from mental health providers at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune has been “outstanding” and helps him understand that things will get better with time and effort on his part. The infantry unit he is attached to, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines, has been fully supportive, recommending him for Wounded Warrior Battalion East so he can focus fully on his treatment.

“There’s a lot of help available when you’re debating suicide,” Jimenez said. “I know it feels like you’re stuck in a horrible place with no way out; but there is hope, and that’s one thing the groups and the doctors are showing me.”

Opening lines of communication

At the School of Infantry aboard Camp Geiger, both Marine and Navy leadership encourage Marines and sailors to attend an anonymous group where they can discuss the stresses of life, marriage, military service and more. The group, which meets weekly, is a safe haven for dozens of Marines aboard the installation to vent and discover they are not alone. Because the Marine or sailor’s leadership is not notified of their involvement in the group, many services members have turned to the group, which also advocates for one-on-one treatment if the service member is interested.

“The program …was spearheaded about a year and a half ago when a need among our (Marines) was identified,” said Marine Col. Jeffrey Conner, the commanding officer of the School of Infantry. “Marines being Marines, they want to come to work and put their best foot forward and have their game face on …but when they have difficulty with that we give them the resources and support they need to do just that.”

The program is discussed both monthly and quarterly to identify trends and, if needed, request more resources for the Marines and sailors, he said. In conjunction with the program, he said, the unit’s Family Readiness Officer and chaplain help identify at-risk Marines and sailors and refer them to the program. The group, he said, allows for open communication among Marines and their leaders and also builds awareness on how to be cognizant of what your peers may be going through.

As the sergeant major of the Advanced Infantry Training Battalion, Daniel Wilson, 40, of Jacksonville said that some of the Marines within his battalion are stepping forward and asking for help, noting there is a receptive environment that allows for personal development through therapy without judgment or reprisal. Because AITB trains senior enlisted Marines, Wilson feels as though the open-door policy toward mental health will have a trickle-down effect within the Marine Corps and make others more accepting of those who ask for help.

“The reason they seek treatment may not even be combat related, it could just be stress,” Wilson said. “The Marine Corps has not written the book on managing post-traumatic stress …but we are doing everything we can to wrap our heads around it. …This is just one of the ways we are doing that.”

At both Marine Combat Training Battalion and Headquarters and Support Battalion, Sergeants Major Therester Cox and Christopher Garza said the message to Marines afraid of seeking treatment is that there is no stigma at the School of Infantry and they will not see any backlash for getting help.

“Get out, get help and don’t be afraid,” said Cox, 39, of Jacksonville. “To me, No. 1, everybody is a man or woman first. You’re important to somebody. …Now add to the fact that you are a United States Marine….It’s very important that Marines understand they need to get help because the Marine Corps is counting on you. …You aren’t able to do anything for the Marine Corps if you aren’t taking care of yourself as an individual.”

The group is led by Navy Lt. Crystal Shelton, a clinical social worker who devotes her time between clinical appointments to interacting with the Marines and sailors as they train students, hoping to build awareness of resources and to minimize any stigma associated with mental health treatment, she said. The program is designed to be used for early intervention, she said, and it is also used to help people determine whether or not they are having a problem; but in order to help, someone needs to ask for it.

“Right here, what is happening is what other places are trying to model themselves on,” said Shelton, 38, of Jacksonville. “We’re trying to send the message that waiting (to get treatment) doesn’t help the situation. By waiting it usually makes things worse in their life. …It you think there is an issue, come in and talk to someone. …You don’t have to wait until you can’t do your job anymore.”

Confidential resources

Navy chaplains, who are embedded within Marine units, often find Marines and sailors confiding in them when things in life aren’t going as planned. Trained to non-clinically identify symptoms of suicide, post-traumatic stress and other ailments, chaplains have access to resources they can make available to Marines such as counseling, retreats and more.

For Navy Cmdr. Marc Massie, 43, of Camp Lejeune, the best part of being a chaplain is that he can assist service members with any problem and it will be kept 100-percent confidential. Chaplains are bound by law to maintain confidentiality regardless of the topic discussed even if the service member confesses homicidal, suicidal or fratricidal intents.

“Confidentiality means that it doesn’t matter what a service member says to a chaplain, it will not be repeated to anyone else,” said Massie, the station command chaplain for New River Air Station. “The reason the military does this is because it gives the service members a safe place to go. The doctors, nurses and MCCS are great, but they are not 100-percent confidential.”

Whether real or imaginary, many Marines and sailors have fears that asking for help will ruin their career, he said, and part of what chaplains do is try to break down those walls and make it OK to talk. If someone were to walk in his office and confess that they were suicidal, which has happened in the past, Massie said that a chaplain will do whatever it takes to get the service member whatever assistance they need before they leave their office and even offer to go with them.

Sometimes, according to Massie, going to talk to a counselor can be a scary thing, especially when a Marine or sailor must tell their command they will be attending therapy. Massie said he has assisted many service members in telling their command that they will be attending therapy and doesn’t allow the command to poke and prod, which often times makes the service member uncomfortable.

“I’ve counseled atheists, Wiccans and every other denomination,” Massie said. “It doesn’t matter if you even believe in a religion. We come at things with a human approach and just talk to people. We become a friend with them and check in on them from time to time to make sure they’re doing OK.”

It’s one more example of letting troops know that they’re not alone.

“I think most Marines would be surprised if they knew how many of their peers has asked for help,” Massie said. “It’s not as uncommon as people may think.”

Just ask Jimenez, the staff sergeant working to find his way back.

“There are people going through the same thing,” he said. “I feel alone but I know I’m not alone. That really helps when you’re fighting your own battle.”

http://www.jdnews.com/news/military/marine-struggles-in-fight-of-his-life-1.302009

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.