opposition (Jun 17, 2008)

About Me Forums Astrology opposition (Jun 17, 2008)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Michelle Young 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Shoaib Shoaib ‎ Kazi قاضیJun 17, 2008
    opposition
    uranus in 7th house (scorpio) making opposition with mercury in 12th house (aries), what it indicates?

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle Astrology dpMichelle Young – Jun 18, 2008
    Hi Shoaib,

When you try to figure out what one particular aspect means without considering the entire chart, you stand the potential of losing the true meaning of that aspect. I don’t believe in cookbook astrology, Shoaib. It’s just not conducive to getting the full and true meaning of any particular aspect. Every nuance needs to be considered. You just aren’t going to see the whole picture like this. This is exactly why I urge people to focus on seeing the chart as a completely integrated picture. Every single part of the chart works with the rest of the chart so there is a smooth flow to what you’re seeing.

What you’re asking for here, Shoaib, is cookbook astrology. Regardless of whose chart that opposition belongs to, it’s an exercise in futility–and guessing games–since you’re going to miss so much.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Shoaib Shoaib ‎ Kazi قاضیJun 22, 2008
    thanx, but how can i improve my self to read the chart. what r the basic principles?

Michelle Astrology dpMichelle Young – Jul 11, 2008
    Shoaib
    how can i improve my self to read the chart. what r the basic principles?

My apologies for not replying sooner, Shoaib. I confess: I totally forgot till just now that you asked this! (I’m in the midst of moving, so we have some craziness going on here. lol)

Several years ago, when I was working on my first book, I befriended someone with whom I was working quite closely. His name was Abouali Farmanfarmiani, and he was the educational coordinator for one of the departments at the United Nations. Abouali had a great expression that described what Americans are often accused of–“sari ‘n’ curry.” “Sari ‘n’ curry” refers to the fast food, run-to-the-mall-for-immediate-gratification mentality, and unfortunately, many people around the world tend to try to do this in one area of their lives or another. Astrology often receives this kind of approach.

Learn the foundations of each sign, house, planet and luminary. After you learn these foundations with the understanding that what you have learned are simply cornerstones of learning, key words, concepts and not all there is about those foundations, then consider these things as you look at them interacting with other components of the chart (one by one, but sometimes more). Learn the basic principles of the aspects:

Conjunction – a hard aspect with a guideline orb of 0°, can be positive or negative depending on how the two planets (or planet on an angle, or planet in another sign for an out-of-sign conjunction) are joined, again with the understanding of the foundations

Guideline orbs will vary according to planets/luminaries involved

Sextile/Trine – 60°/120°, considered a soft aspect. This too can be good or bad. If things come too easily for you, you could land on the psychiatrist’s couch because you have no challenges.

Square/Opposition – 90°/180°, considered hard. Challenge is probably my favorite word for these two, although March and McEvers will add “awareness” for the opposition.

[more]

Michelle Astrology dpMichelle Young – Jul 11, 2008
    Quincunx – 150°. Neither soft nor hard, at least in my mind. It’s a tight orb though. 2°. I tend to be quite inflexible with quincunxes (inconjuncts) because of their unique traits. Sometimes I’ll expand a slight amount, depending on how critical the point. If it’s involved in a yod (2 quincunxes with a sextile joining the two at one end), I won’t go past 30′ of flexibility. Consider the foundations of the planets in question. March and McEvers are known for their belief that the quincunx is an adjustment. I wholeheartedly agree. With the quincunx, you are constantly needing to adjust when it’s triggered. If you try to be inflexible or you try to avoid confronting the process of adjustment, it will come back to haunt you.

Quindecile – 165°. This tends to be a point of obsession. Again, it should remain at a tight 2° orb. Barack Obama has a quindecile between his Sun and Saturn. Consider the foundations of these two planets and how they could come into conflict with each other via obsession.
    (Sep 4, 2015 – Through the years since I’ve written this, I’ve loosened/expanded my orbs up to 5° and find them viable at this orb.)

There are many other aspects. But if you take the conjunction, the sextile, the trine, the square, the opposition and the quincunx for starters, and perhaps throw in the quindecile later, after you’ve decided you’re ready for more, you’ll find these quite doable and flexible enough for you to begin to have a firmer grasp of the field. 🙂 Do these before tackling more, Shoaib. Better that you know these and feel secure than to know all of them by passing glance and feel insecure with that “fleeting acquaintance.” 🙂

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Shoaib Shoaib ‎ Kazi قاضیJul 13, 2008
    thanks michelle ur words r very valuable for me. im very greatfull to u, that u spare time for me. im always waiting for ur guidance n help. thank u.

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJul 17, 2008
    Shoaib
    I try to be there for you. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.