How you decide oneโ€™s zodiac sign ? (May 26, 2009)

About Me Forums Astrology How you decide one’s zodiac sign ? (May 26, 2009)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Michelle Young 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Deepa KuttyMay 26, 2009
    How you decide one’s zodiac sign ?
    Hi
    I am a person interested in zodiac signs. I like to interepret any person in terms of their sunsigs. It is limited to the facts given in some books which summarize sunsign based character telling.
    But I am totally unaware about the science behind it.
    I would like enhance my knowledge in this regard.
    I think the community will help.

Michelle Astrology dp Michelle YoungMay 27, 2009
    Deepa
    Let’s clarify a few things first, Deepa. I’m not convinced astrology, much less Sun or Moon sign astrology, is a science at all. Finding out someone’s Sun sign requires you to know their date, year, time and place of birth, just as you need to know in order to learn their astrological chart (whether you’re considering the Western or Indian school of astrology).

I often see some of these Sun sign communities noting a particular pair of dates related to what they think are those belonging to whatever Sun sign, and I admit to rolling my eyes at seeing this. Why? Because the moment the Sun goes into the next sign (known as “making the ingress”) changes from year to year. Some years, it will be on one date, other years another date, and always, always the time of the ingress changes from year to year. For example, I have two friends born on the 22st of November in two different countries. One was born with the Sun in the last degree of Scorpio, the other was born with the Sun in the first degree of Sagittarius. I have a son born on the 20th of January, in the early afternoon. If he had been born in the wee hours of the morning, he’d have been a Capricorn Sun, not an Aquarius Sun.

No person is 100% of any sign, and thinking anyone is relegates them to stereotypes that won’t always fit them. You compromise your thinking to make it fit the description, and that helps no one in the process.

As you’ve discovered, Sun signs are “limited to the facts given in some books which summarize sunsign based character telling.” That’s probably the most accurate thing anyone can say about Sun signs!

Every person has something of other signs. As I said, no person is 100% of any sign. That’s what makes you unique. I should hope, at least, we’re more than 12 compact personalities with no nuances beyond! It would be a pretty downright boring world were that the case! ๐Ÿ™‚

Feel free to discuss this more if you’d like.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Saswat Saswat SwainJun 10, 2009
    That was a nice explanation Michelle !!!
    Just to show how unique in terms of astrology here are some factors.
    1. We have 9 planets
    2. 12 houses
    3. Each planets stays for 30 deg in one house
    Now the math calculate the number of combination you can get with these three types of variable. Thatโ€™s how unique we are.

Michelle Astrology dp Michelle YoungJun 10, 2009
    Saswat
    1. We have 9 planets

I admit I still have two other people to reply to, and I hope to do so tomorrow, but your comment prodded my fingers into action right now. I’m curious to what you’re calling nine planets. lol I know that must sound funny, but I’m counting by Western astrology:

1) Mercury
    2) Venus
    3) Mars
    4) Jupiter
    5) Saturn
    6) Uranus
    7) Neptune
    8) Pluto

in addition to the luminaries–Sun and Moon,

and by Indian astrology:

1) Mercury
    2) Venus
    3) Mars
    4) Jupiter
    5) Saturn

in addition to the luminaries I mentioned above. Are Rahu and Ketu considered planets? In Western astrology, Rahu and Ketu are the nodes of the Moon, which I’ve never heard called planets. So I’ll appreciate your clarification (and I’m delighted to see you posting again!).

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle Astrology dp Michelle YoungJun 10, 2009
    One more thought:

Or did you omit Pluto because the IAU declared Pluto was no longer a planet? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Where I’m sitting, Pluto has always done just fine for me, whether you want to call it a planet or a tennis ball. ๐Ÿ˜€ Or as dear old Mr. Shakespeare said, “A rose by any other name is still a rose” (or something along those lines). My point is that Pluto still works in the analysis and interpretation regardless of what the IAU thinks about this celestial body. It’s fine that they have, after its recognition as a planet for the last 79 years, now declared it isn’t a planet, but interpretation and analysis are still intact. The word “planet” is somewhat of a moot point in that case. ๐Ÿ™‚

Saswat Saswat SwainJun 10, 2009
    You got me… I missed Pluto. Here is the 9 planets I was referring to
    1) Sun
    2) Moon
    3) Mercury
    4) Venus
    5) Mars
    6) Jupiter
    7) Saturn
    8) Uranus
    9) Neptune
    You are right about Indian Astrology 7 planets and Rahu and Ketu i.e. nodes of the moon. Some astrologer do count Uranus, Neptune and Pluto also with the 7 elements.
    Here is my view. All the celestial bodies in universe do play a role in astrology. Itโ€™s our understanding of them limits the scope of astrology. In comets generally have effect on astrology and some of us neglect that also as they donโ€™t come the number of planets. I am pretty sure the moons of other planets also will have some effect just that Its implication/or our knowledge might be less so we tend to ignore that.
    We are more unique now than the last post ๐Ÿ˜‰ with Pluto

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.