How about some creative thought? :) (Apr 2, 2009)

About Me Forums Scorpio! How about some creative thought? :) (Apr 2, 2009)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungApr 2, 2009
    How about some creative thought? 🙂

One of our new members, Deep, said something in a post that triggered an idea for this thread. (Thanks, Deep!) He wrote, “…because of recession…..

I have started this small group of 3 little boys from my locality…and been giving them tuitions…they really are very poor to afford personal coaching…

I dont know if this is what you call is service for common good….but i can tell u something that it feels great….

Many times, we look at a recession and think it’s surely a horrible time of life for us because we can’t do this or that. But maybe it’s a matter of our own perceptions and how we’re actually looking at the current situation that’s making things seem worse (or better) than they are. This is where my thoughts are coming from as I write now.

This recession comes with precisely parallel timing to a situation in my own life that is challenging me to see how I can continue to help others with a giving, loving spirit. Knowing that I can do so makes me feel that inner reward Deep has expressed. I tend to overspend on my family for holiday gift giving at the end of the year, but this year marks a significantly tighter period for the next three years. I won’t be able to spend on those gifts as I did.

As a result, I picked up my knitting needles again (long story why I hadn’t done so before now for many years), and I’ve begun to make all of my gifts for those holidays. As I complete each gift, I find myself smiling because it’s making me feel good to have conquered the recession in my own way and have found another means of reclaiming my life while doing something special with my gifts.

So…how about you? What are you doing that’s creative perhaps as a result of the recession? How are you feeling? (Hopefully you get the intent of this thread based on both Deep’s and my comments.)

I look forward to hearing what you’re doing–or thinking of doing, but even your suggesting ideas for others to do is a “for the good of all” kind of process. 

Ashwini Nandgeri Baranwal – Apr 2, 2009

@Michelle
    As a result, I picked up my knitting needles again (long story why I hadn’t done so before now for many years), I would love to listen to the long story.

Hey all, I have always said Life is the best teacher and experiences the best lessons that we learn from this teacher called life.

But what I need to tell by my experience is that if you chose to ignore the lesson or try to be stubborn with this teacher by being unwilling to learn what its trying to teach..
    Then you are going to go through the same horrid experiences untill and unless you don’t get the lesson out of it.

Recession taught me the lessons that I had forgot, the lessons that I had gone through long time ago.

I’m planning to come out of the comfort zone and say a goodbye to my cook and very soon to the domestic helper. My husband loves my food, he even helps whenever I cook. This would bring more joy and time for eachother if I start to cook again. It’s not that I can’t afford the cook but I guess when I can do this task myself then why not.
    And I never know what future holds.

Tanmoy… On the Rocks – Apr 2, 2009
    Michelle
    Its Just a simple service i am trying to do…..trying to contribut ein my little way…..

U know something….when I was graduating in 2008 I used to look at the huge pay packages that were being offered to us…..and Greed crept in….I also wanted to become rich…..things became more…..Materialistic….maybe..

Then as recession crept…..and close frinds drifted apart….I had more time to reflect as to what existense really means…..I dont know if all this is becoming very spiritual….but as I started teaching my little friends….I could see in their eyes the desire to know the world…..

They cleansed my soul…..Its more like they teach me innocence as I teach them Mathematics………

Tanmoy… On the Rocks – Apr 2, 2009
    You deserve the Thanks Michelle
    I was inspired by your thoughts….Its just that I was blessed to have read your comments and understood the bigger picture…..

Thanks to You for guiding me towards the right path….

Ashwini
    When my oldest son, from my first marriage, was small, I had sewn many of his clothes for him, especially little rompers that could be called unisex. As he outgrew them, I took additional leftover fabric and created a little doll to look like the little girl across the street, and then we’d give her the rompers that no longer fit him–and the doll that looked like her. She loved it.

At the same time, I knitted his sweaters–denim sweaters with crayons, hooded sweaters with pockets (these were knitted hoodies, if you will), a hooded thick warm winter coat from leftover yarn and more. lol Once, I knitted him a cute little variegated blue sweater with a sailboat. Apparently he thought it needed more blue, and he painted it on the first day I gave it to him!  🙂  I held on to those sweaters and that coat simply because I was proud of having made them.

Among other things I made back then, I did a Betsy Ross American flag for my first mother-in-law’s bed and the US Marine Corps flag for my oldest brother’s bed. The latter, my own design, not only thrilled my brother but gave me enormous delight in having created it. I made a gorgeous honeycomb knitted sweater for my now ex-brother-in-law (2nd marriage), and he didn’t appreciate it because I had made it in acrylic instead of wool yarn. (Not everyone can handle (wear) wool yarn, for Pete’s sake!) I made other sweaters and scarves for others–and myself.

But I should have taken the clue from my ex-brother-in-law because not more than 2 years after I had been going with ex-husband #2, he told me knitting was for old ladies. My having learned at age 15 and the happiness of those receiving these gifts meant nothing to him. He did it to insult, abuse and otherwise hurt me, so I stopped knitting all those years because I hadn’t understood symbolism of the kind of life I was about to enter.

Now, I got rid of the worthless, useless individual who didn’t deserve the kids and me and reclaimed my life–and theirs.  🙂

Deep
    U know something….when I was graduating in 2008 I used to look at the huge pay packages that were being offered to us…..and Greed crept in….I also wanted to become rich…..things became more…..Materialistic….maybe..

Then as recession crept…..and close frinds drifted apart….I had more time to reflect as to what existense really means…..I dont know if all this is becoming very spiritual….but as I started teaching my little friends….I could see in their eyes the desire to know the world…..

They cleansed my soul…..Its more like they teach me innocence as I teach them Mathematics………

What a beautiful person you are, Deep!

True wealth lies within and can never be taken as a result of a recession. Sure, we all need to survive, but there’s so much more to life than money! It’s one thing to say it, but it’s another to know how to work with it, regardless of how much or how little you have–and to know that you can become wealthier without earning or investing a dime/rupee/pound, etc simply by investing of yourself and allowing the resources inside you to grow.  Those little guys are so lucky to have you! (Where were you when I needed help with statistics in college???  lol)

Sometimes I wonder whether a monetary recession is more or less important than the recession that exists when the monetary one is gone.

This community is also lucky to have an abundance of people who get that. 

Ashwini Nandgeri Baranwal – Apr 5, 2009

@Michelle
    … Dear Michelle..I can’t express how sorry I felt for asking you to tell the story.

Only if I sensed it in your words I wouldn’t ask you to narrate it. Tears just rolled down through my cheeks as I read your past experience. I felt awful for making you to go through it again. Yeah I feel recalling something means going through it all again. The details that you narrated meticulously shows that you were badly hurt.

Now that everything is good ..I say touchwood and sing for you..[sing with me] If you are happy and you know it clap your hands, If you are happy and you know it clap your hands, If you are happy and you know it and you really ought to show it ..If you are happy and you know it clap your hands…. 

Again I say heartfelt regrets.!!

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungApr 8, 2009
    Ashwini
    Dear Michelle..I can’t express how sorry I felt for asking you to tell the story.

Only if I sensed it in your words I wouldn’t ask you to narrate it. Tears just rolled down through my cheeks as I read your past experience. I felt awful for making you to go through it again. Yeah I feel recalling something means going through it all again. The details that you narrated meticulously shows that you were badly hurt.

Please don’t feel sorry about it, Ashwini. If I still were unable to knit and do other creative things, you could feel sorry, but as I said, I reclaimed my life, and this is a symbol of my doing it.  It’s been as important for me as my trip to Brazil was in 2006.

Now that everything is good ..I say touchwood and sing for you..[sing with me] If you are happy and you know it clap your hands, If you are happy and you know it clap your hands, If you are happy and you know it and you really ought to show it ..If you are happy and you know it clap your hands….

lol I haven’t heard that song in years! lol

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.