Chutzpah (May 31, 2013)

About Me Forums Scorpio! Chutzpah (May 31, 2013)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungMay 31, 2013
    Chutzpah

Some of you may have “heard” someone–perhaps even me–use the word “chutzpah,” but do you know what it means? Obviously I’ll tell you because a lot of people use words in other languages (I’m also guilty as charged) without always knowing the meaning. 🙂 But this thread isn’t about the wrong usage of a word. It’s more serious than that, so I’ll tell you and then move on to why I used it.

Chutzpah is…………………when pilots hijack jets from Boston’s Logan International Airport and fly them into two towers known as the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001. We all watched in horror. Chutzpah is US Navy Seals who dropped to the compound in Pakistan and killed Osama bin Laden on May 1, 2011. 

Chutzpah is walking up to the wealthiest person in the world and asking him/her to give you a gift of US$100000–and meaning it.

Some people would call these examples insane, obnoxious, outrageous. Simply described, chutzpah is a whole lot of nerve–and then some. Just really over the top kind of nerve.

Okay, well, that’s not where this thread ends. When I wrote about Nirbhaya back in December, my heart broke because of the reactions of many who simply didn’t know how to react. Please, just read this because I’m not going into the same topic in the way you think. I promise! But it IS such an IMPORTANT issue that you need to hear me out. Please, I beg of you!

I just got done reading the following that also led me to a powerful YouTube I just finished watching. In all, I’m probably asking you for about 25 minutes of your time, maybe 30 at the most. I know that’s not usual for me, but I hope I can ask this of you after all the years we’ve shared here. Right off the bat, relax. I’m not sharing something right now (tonight) related to India. The story comes from Italy. I know, “So what’s that got to do with me?” Keep reading and you’ll find out.

Moving now to frame 2 because I don’t want to miss anything…It’s too important.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Italy Tries to Reduce Violence Against WomenMay 30, 2013

Category: A World That Works for Everyone   
    By Nicole Winfield, AP – May 29, 2013

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/italy-reduce-violence-women

Violence against women in Italy has been thrust into the spotlight with a raft of headline-grabbing murders of women by their lovers — a trend the UN has flagged as a particular problem in a country where gender stereotypes are “deeply rooted” and where a third of all women face physical or sexual violence in their lifetimes.

On Tuesday, Italy’s lower chamber of parliament ratified a European anti-domestic violence convention on the same day that the latest victim was buried: a 15-year-old girl beaten, stabbed 20 times and burned alive, allegedly by her boyfriend.

The Council of Europe treaty on preventing and combatting violence against women now goes to the Italian Senate, where its passage is expected. The 2011 treaty creates a legal framework to prevent, prosecute and eliminate violence against women.

The unanimous vote occurred in Rome. In the southern “toe” of boot-shaped Italy, funeral services were held Tuesday for Fabiana Luzzi, who died Friday in the southern town of Corigliano Calabro. Italian news reports cited prosecutor Maria Vallefuoco as saying her boyfriend, identified only as Davide because he is a minor, was in custody and had confessed.

Details of the crime turned even more gruesome after news reports citing the coroner and prosecutors said Luzzi bled for two hours and was very much alive before her boyfriend returned with a tank of gas. She apparently tried unsuccessfully to fight him off when he doused her with fuel and set her afire.

The boyfriend’s lawyer, Giovanni Zagarese, has said he would seek a psychiatric evaluation if the judge doesn’t order one, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reported.

“I feel the need to ask forgiveness for all the women killed by the hands of those who abuse the word ‘love,’” Italy’s equal opportunities minister, Josefa Idem, said as she attended Luzzi’s funeral.

Several lawmakers cited Luzzi’s violent death in remarks before the treaty vote and the chamber president, Laura Boldrini, hailed the treaty as an important step forward for Italy. Boldrini said Italy also needed a separate law to finance specific intervention measures.

Italy has several laws that should prevent such crimes and ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted.

But last year, the U.N. special rapporteur on violence against women, Rashida Manjoo, said the implementation of Italy’s laws are often stymied by their fragmented nature, inadequate sanctions, lack of redress for victims and lengthy trials that often end with cases being thrown out due to the statute of limitations.

“These factors contribute to the silencing and invisibility surrounding violence against women, its causes and consequences,” she wrote in her report.

Since the 1990s, as homicides by men against men fell in Italy, the number of women murdered by men has increased: In 2010, the figure stood at 127, the U.N. report said. Other studies cite higher figures, and note that many cases of domestic violence go unreported to begin with.

Manjoo said 78 percent of all violence against women in Italy is domestic in nature, and that 31.9 percent of Italian women face physical or sexual violence during their lifetimes. The U.N. envoy noted that gender stereotypes are “deeply rooted” in Italy, where women are underrepresented in public and private senior management positions.

“Women carry a heavy burden in terms of household care, while the contribution of men thereto is amongst the lowest in the world,” Manjoo said.

She cited studies that found that 53 percent of women appearing on television in Italy didn’t speak, while 46 percent of them “were associated with issues such as sex, fashion and beauty, and only 2 percent issues of social commitment and professionalism.”

Italy Tries to Reduce Violence Against WomenItaly Tries to Reduce Violence Against Women

Violence & Silence: Jackson Katz, Ph.D at TEDxFiDiWomen

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

You may wonder why I’ve posted this here. When I was a child, a school friend of mine used to sing a song I never learned, but I remember the opening line and the music to that line, not enough to sing it, sadly. Here it is. It’s a John Donne poem set to music, so please don’t focus on the gender specificity here:

No man is an island,
    No man stands alone,
    Each man’s joy is joy to me,
    Each man’s grief is my own.

We need one another,
    So I will defend,
    Each man as my brother,
    Each man as my friend.

I saw the people gather,
    I heard the music start,
    The song that they were singing,
    Is ringing in my heart.

No man is an island,
    Way out in the blue,
    We all look to the one above,
    For our strength to renew.

When I help my brother,
    Then I know that I,
    Plant the seed of friendship,
    That will never die. 

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungMay 31, 2013
    I want that frame left on its own for the power in that message. 

I brought up Nirbhaya and people’s reactions earlier for a reason: Some people felt guilty and ashamed at what had happened and couldn’t read all of my posts. Some couldn’t read because they were terrified and wanted to close their eyes in hope that the danger would somehow vanish. But such reactions not only endanger each person in that respective nation, they endanger every single one of us by enabling us to bury our heads in the sand till the danger hopefully leaves before we come up for air. They endanger every single one of us by making us feel guilty for not wanting to deal with the situation. They make us feel guilty by allowing ourselves to convince us that it’s not okay to get angry.

I posted what I’m about to say earlier, and I’ll post it again here because we can and should turn this around now: Violence isn’t just about guns and bombs. It’s not about black eyes and bruises from falling down the stairs or walking into doors. It’s about being shamed into doing things that are against our fiber; it’s about being slapped by a teacher or called names by a peer; it’s about being told we’re not good enough and starting to believe it. It’s about a father throwing his son into a door and thinking it’s okay to watch the son wince in pain as something hits him in the back. It’s about a father thinking it’s funny when he makes a baby cry. It’s about a child having scalding water thrown on him or her. About a girl or boy being molested by a classmate or a teacher at school. We have each had something happen to us because we aren’t impervious to these things. 

Listen to what Jackson Katz says about the way we form the sentences, and how the perpetrator eventually gets squeezed out and it’s all about the victim. You know what? Regardless of gender, I’m TIRED of being a VICTIM! 

Please, repeat this after me: I AM A SURVIVOR! 

Will you join me? How about you? My hand is open for yours. 

I hope the men here will join us as well in speaking out against crimes against women, children, and yes, even boys.The violence began against every single one of us. Now let’s do something about it in a positive way! Let’s commit to speaking out and not stopping till we make the difference where it counts! Please don’t let my voice go unheard again!

Please join me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.