Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings (May 19, 2012)

About Me Forums Scorpio! Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings (May 19, 2012)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungMay 19, 2012
    Chart Integration Ramblings and Musings

WARNING! This first series of posts is VERY long! I’m sorry. It was impossible to cut, and in great part, this is why I chose to create a new thread. It now offers options for rambles when necessary…

Priya - Orkut shot Priya Deshpande – May 21, 2012

Yes Michelle, The Show “Satyamev Jayate” is really taking up very important issues for discussion and action..

Up till now  Female foeticide (6th May), Sexual abuse of children (13th May) and dowry system in India (20th May) have been discussed by Amir Khan – the real Hero.. 

During each show my eyes were filled up with angry tears.  

Thanks Michelle for talking about “I Oppose Female Foeticide.”  I had promoted it in following tread Community Directory: Owned by Scorpio! members

[Sep 1, 2015: Orkut links are dead] link is 
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs?cmm=1513&tid=5218779100256255763&na=3&npn=2&nid=1513-5218779100256255763-5268459674366465490

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – May 19, 2012

Since there are several threads this actually could go into, I decided to start the new one because it’s kind of tying in together for me on some very personal levels that are clearly tied to one or more transits, and I suspect this also occurs with others in similar ways. As I see it, however, there has actually been an overlap for me in quite unexpected ways. It’s a lesson for the astrologer; it’s also a lesson for the student, and I think it’s important to be recognized as such because I nearly missed it–and got taught a critically important astrological lesson by the student in a way that no one could have seen. 

I kind of knew at quite an early age that I had some precognitive abilities although I didn’t really even understand what that had meant. For most of my life, something would come to me by an odd kind of feeling, a sudden enormous sense of sorrow–not depression, not foreboding, but just this overwhelming sense of something about to take place that would create some sense of interruption in many lives at a personal or mundane level–or joy in comparable ways as I’ve just explained about sorrow. At those times, the events took place normally within a 24-hour period. 

But in the last few years or so, I’ve noticed that my responses to those things seem to have been modified with some blurring as if I’m forgetting that 24-hour sensation and am trying to interpret in other ways. It’s confusing–and yes, that’s clearly a Neptune problem made more evident by Neptune’s currently being within orb of my Mercury. It’s disconcerting; it’s frustrating and downright upsetting because I can’t count on what’s there and what’s not there in what I’m sensing. 

Whether or not she realizes all of these things in the same way, as I was in the first stages of developing this on Friday (the 18th of May since I don’t know how long it will take me to complete this series of frames in draft form), I got a series of messages from Sireesha and
    realized (as I write this on Friday and add in this paragraph) that even though her chart and mine are nothing alike, she has a similar aspect (not even the identical aspect) by luminary/planet and degree (not even house positions) between two bodies in her chart that
    created a nearly identical state of mind or emotions on the same day and time this week. And of course, we’re not even in the same hemisphere!

Now the point is not to embarrass myself by this revelation but to bring a bit of clarity to you, the reader, as well as to myself in sorting through all of this. It’s clearly not a simple situation. It’s complex because this isn’t about Neptune alone. How often I have stressed in this community and elsewhere the absolute need for the reader to understand that astrology is never a one-planet focus, that you are more than your Sun sign, you are more than your Moon or your Ascendant or any of the other vast components of your chart as you see it. And lo and behold, here’s where I too became a victim of how much I know, how much I could know, and how much I hope I have grown this week, thanks to the student. lol 

It actually brings me back to when I was first studying astrology, and I thought once I had
    the understanding of some transits (especially the inner transits) against my chart, that I had it all together. And then the process of seeing the dynamics coming together just kind of slapped me in the face as if it was the coldest, wettest washcloth that had ever hit me with cold-hearted reality. So where does the “I know” stop and the “I think” or the “maybe” start? As Shakespeare might say, “Ahh there’s the rub!”

Some of this came at me with the downright personal insult of “OMG, I am not knowing up from down right now!” I knew the dynamics, mind you, but the learning process still had to come and, as wisely pointed out, ” Be wary of coming to premature conclusions about alleged mistakes. Wait to hear the entire song and see the bigger picture.” So now, I’m at the point of “I don’t know if I’ve made mistakes. I must have, but I don’t have all the notes to the song.” I know that it’s still evolving.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Now before any of you think I know what I’m talking about in the context of the actual situation, you might benefit from knowing that this is complex just as the most intricately-woven novel you’ve ever read is complex. There are many story lines in this story, and it’s all too easy to lose yourself in the midst of stuff going on all around you. In the midst of my quest to have these pieces come together, I went on a quest about legends…

Legends. Neptune certainly enters into this kind of journey, doesn’t it? Neptune colors our world with the most beautiful hues…of…

In Incoming: Astrology Domine!, Sagar gently nudged me in the direction of seeing Persephone even though I stubbornly resisted. I’ve been convinced that the asteroids had nothing to teach basic astrology.

Not to prove my point here (because I’m being forced by the set of circumstances that have taken place very close to home–the tie in to that reference about precognition I made in the beginning of this post), I’m offering a draft of what I began to write this week and then put aside. It needs to be said as a reminder to myself that the nudge in the direction of Persephone may have been an incredible reminder I deeply needed to hear (despite myself lol). I will implore the reader to understand that this is neither an argument nor a debate with Sagar over his exploration of the Persephone studies, rather my observations of my own evolution that somehow tied into events that had created this journey this week.

I think I understand the point you’re trying to make here, Sagar. It seems to be less obvious from this perspective despite the mythological connections they attempted to make in the TOI. I’m not sure if that was a deliberate linkage on the parts of the TOI, its reporters and editors, or something that kind of happened as serendipity. Commodities? Perhaps. However, it seems to me that you would have more clout–palanca (pah-lahn-kah) as Spanish speakers would say–with Pluto in Capricorn. It’s actually perfect!

Think about this: Pluto is Hades, as I recall they make clear in their references to this asteroid. And certainly Pluto’s queen would be formidable, majestic and venerable and all too capable of effecting curses upon the souls of the dead through men. Put that image of Hades and her into the realm of Saturn-ruled Capricorn, and you have the process of reward and punishment in the public eye (10th house), the concept of the 8th house through Pluto and the underworld, and the land, a reference to the fourth house rather than the 2nd. The fourth house is the mother’s or father’s home, the roots of the family, the endings as one of the houses of endings just as the 8th house is a house of endings.

Saturn gives the rewards and enriches those who have earned them. Those who haven’t earned those rewards are “doomed” to fail (death of vegetation perhaps?). Income would not be earned through the fat of the land since there wouldn’t be any fat of the land to be had.

Where is the real point here: Persephone as the victim of a kidnapping, or Hades/Pluto as the perpetrator of the crime? If it’s Persephone, then what statement needs to be made any more “easily” than simply through the Venus retrograde? If it’s Pluto/Hades, then why not look there instead? What is the point of asking about Persephone when the timing itself of the Venus retrograde is based on new awakenings in understanding about women and children? After all, we have the issues of domestic violence and abuse including child sexual abuse (but why not women as a whole too? Are not women also abused? Many have been victimized by this crime since childhood and then moved into new facets of that abuse in adulthood. You want tie ins?
    Try this: The woman who leaves the home of her abuser, the perpetrator of DV [domestic violence] will try on the average three times. Her final escape may either be successful through actual escape–or suicide.). Sorry. I don’t mean to distract or divert the ideas presented here at all. It’s this vein… 🙂

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Are we not still at Pluto as the motivator, the cause, the perpetrator of the abuses rather than allowing Persephone to have her pity party? Persephone is strong–as pointed out, “formidable, majestic and venerable and all too capable of effecting curses upon the souls of the dead through men.” Seems to me she’s quite capable of handling herself. 😉

Again, I’m not looking to divert or distract in any way. I did, in fact, order that book, as you know, and I intend to devour it because the process of the education itself is as valuable as the dissemination of knowledge being filtered into the brain where it can give rise to new growth, new understandings, progress…

A little more here, just rambling thoughts that weren’t yet unscrambled and reassembled because they’re fine as they are—as you’ll see:

Asteroids can become as obsessive as some of the challenges we find in the foundations of astrology, the progressions, the returns, even just the natals…

This is one of the things that kept me focused on the foundations of astrology (which already has so many layers) through the years instead of going crazy with more than 16k asteroids. But you know that. 🙂 There’s fine tuning, and there’s fine tuned obsession. You can add. You don’t need to count on your fingers.

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Persephone.html
    http://www.arthistory.sbc.edu/imageswomen/papers/paolicchidemeter/demeter.html
    [Sep 1, 2015: The arthistory.sbc,edu link is no longer valid. In its place, consider the following: https://prezi.com/ajenyh7ghudt/demeter/ and http://lightgrid.ning.com/group/demeter/forum/topics/demeter-the-homeric-hymn-to-demeter-and-the-mysteria – far from what the paper offered, but still worth considering]
    http://www.astralis.it/tp.htm [Sep 1, 2015 – from Lynn Koiner]

Someone shared something with me yesterday (now Saturday as I’m writing), and it fits to a degree: “Sometimes, I really get confused about two things, IMAGINATION and DREAMS. Really, what are they?”

I suppose the person could have amended it to three things: IMAGINATION, DREAMS…and NIGHTMARES. (Aur haan, dost—and yes, friend, they are indeed real things that happen to us all. That’s why I’m writing this.)

And that’s when it happened. I didn’t even realize it right away as events started to move ever so quickly that I didn’t know what to expect. This downright horrifying wave of utter despair washed over me as if I could have been swallowed by the earth and never returned, and I had no idea what had happened, only that I was feeling more alone than I had ever felt before that I could have remembered. How or why, I didn’t know. I’d been kind of up and down for a while, but absolutely nothing to compare with this!

It wouldn’t have been important or relevant to all of this seemingly mindless ramble, but a series of events unfolded over the next several hours at such a blurring speed, I really am not sure when, exactly, it started. Wednesday, maybe? And it hit me in the wee hours of Thursday? Maybe. I only know that the events became quite the lesson about Persephone, about Venus…about……………..

[composite of several sites in briefest form as they describe…] Pallas Athene: “She also rules the relations between fathers and daughters, indeed all incestuous and abusive relationships where an imbalance of power must be righted.” “Pallas, the wise, female warrior, gives meaning and direction to the struggles of women to be free from the oppressive domination of the masculine forces.” “’Astrologically Pallas Athene describes how we face the issues of learning, creativity, the arts, politics, healing, alienation from relationships, competition, and the fears of success.’” “Also known as the virgin goddess of wisdom, Pallas Athene was ranked so high by the Greeks that only Jupiter/Zeus out-ranked her. Of course the reason for this is the fact that it was Jupiter who “birthed” her, at least according to Homeric legend which declared she sprang from the head of her father as a full-grown warrior queen, clad in armor and bellowing a victory shout. Only to someone like Jupiter would such a woman be considered ‘Daddy’s Little Girl.'” “Of course Zeus, who felt it his godly duty to mate with anything female, particularly those that showed him any kindness, pursued her until he managed to get her pregnant. Shortly thereafter, however, Gaia and Uranus warned Mr. Stud Muffin that Metis’ child would become king of gods and men. This, of course, was not good news as this would displace Jupiter/Zeus from his godly position. Thus, he did what any Greek god would do and consumed her whole.” “For whatever reason, probably as the result of extreme indigestion, Jupiter/Zeus contracted a blinding headache. Being a bit inclined toward drama, he had someone split his head open with a double-edged axe and poof! Pallas Athene was born. Is it any wonder she was his favorite?

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Now everyone won’t see the correlations here, but I have to add it. It seems to round out some of the pieces for me even though I don’t see how yet. Perhaps because this is another of the asteroids although many astrologers might not acknowledge her (Goddess Haumea) as such: 

http://www.powersthatbe.com/goddess/haumea.html [Sep 1, 2015 – the link is no longer valid. In lieu of that, consider the following: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hm/hm21.htm, http://www.lunarplanner.com/asteroids-dwarfplanets/Haumea.html, and http://www.midlandsschoolofastrology.co.uk/haumea_dwarf_planet_and_sacred_nature.html

These asteroids seemed to be weaving a tale that I suddenly realized last night had spelled out evil things I had been seeing in the charts of little girls and their parents. I was seeing signs that the mother was plotting and manipulating one of her children to try to implicate the father in a custody battle.

My heart sank even further as I allowed my mind to travel over the events of the past week in Scorpio to the “Femininity on legal sale” thread. Here, we had spoken of the exploitation of women. But what about the exploitation of men? Why should we make this a gender issue? Why not see all of these pieces as they fall in place throughout society, whether in India or in other parts of the world including the USA? No, I’m not speaking about the consequences of something like a one-night stand. Sometimes it seems like people are more conscious (this may be my own naivete) of the dangers (physical?) of one-night stands than they are about the long-reaching effects of what we’re doing to each other, or even to the children yet to be born, beyond the horrific slaughter of unborn children simply because they are female. I’m speaking about the cruelties we inflict on each other, even when they are children.

So it is with these thoughts that I began my journey, not knowing what I would find. Sagar has indeed opened my mind when I thought I had shut the door to the potentials of the asteroids if only through the understandings of the legends of these bodies themselves. The door needed to be opened. I’ve been and am in something of battle mode against them (the asteroids). Asteroids seem to compartmentalize when it may be dangerous to do so. Why break it down? We are potentially in danger of doing the same thing with any subject, are we not? 

I don’t understand yet what happened, only that the asteroids took me into that journey downward, allowing me to plummet into caverns deeper and deeper, where my conscious of who I am now wasn’t ready to revisit yet. But the asteroids reminded me that I absolutely cannot forget! These are realities of each of our lives, whether or not we’ve lived them ourselves, or we know someone who has, and they are realities because you, like I, may know someone experiencing some components of what I discovered in this journey.

And in this journey to learn more, I stumbled across the most breathtaking story of all, from Indian legend, mythology… I don’t know enough yet to know where to put it, and I’m actually grateful for that because it gives me a chance to experience it from my own eyes with the innocence of a child perhaps, and therefore just maybe I get the essence and beauty without the rationalization or justifications adults often try to lend to the various pieces of our lives: I found someone’s blog about the story of Krishna and Radha, and it was here that I began to find my journey back up through the muck and mire of God awful pain I was experiencing that night.

http://mohitinhere.blogspot.com/2005/08/mysterious-radha-and-her-last-meeting.html

I am like Guillaume Nery jumping at Dean’s Blue Hole in this journey of the layers of life and humanity, and I don’t know where that journey will take me. But I am part of the human race, I am part of this world, and despite the pain, I have to explore because I am less of the kind of person I want and choose to be if I don’t do so. I demand of others to continue their quest for answers, and I don’t have that right if I’m unwilling to do so as well:

There is an organization called Color My World Kids, a US-based non-profit 501c3 “leading a global effort to relieve human suffering, by providing emergency response relief items and humanitarian services to those in need.” The organization was established by four children in one family, the youngest of whom was 3 years old when it was created.

http://colormyworldkids.org/

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

If children can do these things, then each of us have a responsibility to do something if only to make donations as we can, to speak about social issues as Aamir Khan (yes, I am aware of the show. I only wish I knew enough of the language to get the whole thing, but even listening to the show without understanding all of the words, there is some kind of symbiotic relationship I’m experiencing, and my Hindi lessons are beginning to pay off here too when I understand some of the words he’s saying and can still have some kind of grasp of one section or another.), to volunteer, to do something that speaks from within us to do. We cannot straddle the fence. We cannot sit idly by and do nothing!

If this is my purpose for having been brought to a situation that demanded I look more deeply into the asteroids, it becomes irrelevant whether I went through all that gut-wrenching pain to get there. That was my fear talking. I cannot be afraid of having more knowledge because if I am unwilling to learn more about those things that I have such an aversion to (asteroids), then I may, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, think I have no other reason to live. I have to keep learning. That includes my learning more about asteroids despite any ego, despite any resistance, there’s more for me to learn—for whatever reason.

That’s who I am. That’s where I even began with my lessons in Hindi a couple of months ago now, I guess. I don’t really remember when I started. I know the alphabet by heart now and am starting to recognize some characters. It’s exciting! It says I’m growing. I’m flowing, like the waters of the river, quite fitting for this water sign with an Aquarius Moon…

Hebrew
    Mai Nahar (מי נהר)

מי נהר זורמים
    הבט
    אלו הם ימי חייך
    הם מימי חייך
    נשטפים בזרם
    שמתחיל עם גשם ראשון

מי נהר זורמים
    הבט
    אלו הם פלגי המים
    שיגיעו אל מדבר גווע
    עם השקט שיבוא
    גם אם אשתה את כל הים

הוא לא ירווה את צימאוני
    לעוד יום קרוב אליך
    לעוד יום בזרועותיך
    גם אם אשב מתחת שמש
    לא ישרפו אותי קרניה
    כמו לבי נשרף בלהבות אהבתך

English
    River Waters

Flowing waters of the river
    See
    These are the days of your life
    The waters of your life
    Washed in the current
    That begins with the first rain

Flowing water of the river
    See
    These are the streams of water
    That will reach an anguished desert
    With the falling silence
    Even if I drink the entire ocean

It will not quench my thirst
    For another day close to you
    For another day in your arms
    Even if I sit under the sun
    Her rays will not burn me
    As my heart burns in the flames of your love

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

What I said about compartmentalizing needs to be understood as something that’s a personal issue for me. I don’t do life in compartments. When it’s in a subject that took me, kicking, fighting, scratching, resisting in every way, as asteroids have done, the resistance is perhaps at least ten-fold greater because I’ve gone in with a child-like attitude of “I don’t want to eat my vegetables! I don’t care how good they are for me!” And even though I actually do love vegetables, it’s that stubborn petulant child in me that resists with willful pouting and says, “NO!” as the teeth get clenched and the lips seal tightly shut. Soooo…feet scuffling, I’m checking them out now. 

Teacher has begun to learn some more things in this field of astrology. I don’t know if I’ll incorporate them into what’s here already, but I want to know what’s there. I can’t even think of logical arguments against asteroids, after all, if I don’t know what I’m talking about. Time for me to learn, and the student will teach the teacher. Hopefully, that will make me a better teacher and a better student. I’m here to learn too.

Complex like a novel…hmmmm…

At any rate, thanks for listening to my ramble. 

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’Silva – May 20, 2012

In deed “complex like a novel”. I need to come back and read it again, maybe 3-4 more times to absorb everything. High level thoughts, Michelle!! I somehow need to learn to keep up with you 🙂

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – May 20, 2012

Quoting myself:  If children can do these things, then each of us have a responsibility to do something if only to make donations as we can, to speak about social issues as Aamir Khan (yes, I am aware of the show. I only wish I knew enough of the language to get the whole thing, but even listening to the show without understanding all of the words, there is some kind of symbiotic relationship I’m experiencing, and my Hindi lessons are beginning to pay off here too when I understand some of the words he’s saying and can still have some kind of grasp of one section or another.), to volunteer, to do something that speaks from within us to do. We cannot straddle the fence. We cannot sit idly by and do nothing!

Just a thanks to Sireesha who sent me a note a few minutes ago that StarWorld apparently has responded to the concerns of viewers in English-speaking nations who wanted to see the show, and the videos are now offering English subtitles.

Thanks so much, Sireesha! I’m watching the show again in my native tongue. I’m very grateful.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

sireesha - Orkut shot Sireesha Inturi – May 20, 2012

glad that i am able to help. :-D. i too have to read this once more to absorb what you said. 

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – May 21, 2012

I just finished watching the first show of Aamir Khan’s “Satyamev Jayate” from 6 May, and as I thought about the topic itself, I also thought about a distinguished member of our own community, Dr. Priya Deshpande and her community, “I Oppose Female Foeticide.” I’m afraid I’m a bit baffled how Scorpio has over 32000 members in over 8 years of existence and yet Dr. Priya’s community that has been operating now nearly 18 months only has 144 members. Surely the members of this community care as much about this crisis affecting India as they do about the heavens and what is going on in their own lives?!?! Please join Dr. Priya’s community! 

http://www.orkut.com/Main#Community?cmm=110097122  %5BSep 1, 2015 – no longer valid link]

If you have a browser you’re using that shows the URL as http://www.orkut.co.in, please use the following. I believe I’m doing it correctly for you:

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=110097122 [Sep 1, 2015 – no longer valid link]

Don’t stop there. Get involved in her community. Ask questions. Talk about it. Learn about it! (Yes, I’m a member.)

You may not like the subject because it’s not fun, but look beyond yourself and consider the consequences. And if you still haven’t seen “Satyamev Jayate,” start with the first week’s show and devote an hour of your time to doing so. I, for one, intend to stay as a regular viewer of the show. 

This subject is one that should be painful for each of us to hear about. The pain means something is happening. Feel it. Respond to it. If you can’t get involved in any other way than being informed, even that would be a start. As I said yesterday, “We cannot straddle the fence. We cannot sit idly by and do nothing!” 

Priya - Orkut shot Priya Deshpande – May 21, 2012

Yes Michelle, The Show “Satyamev Jayate” is really taking up very important issues for discussion and action..

Up till now  Female foeticide (6th May), Sexual abuse of children (13th May) and dowry system in India (20th May) have been discussed by Amir Khan – the real Hero.. 

During each show my eyes were filled up with angry tears.  

Thanks Michelle for talking about “I Oppose Female Foeticide.”  I had promoted it in following tread Community Directory: Owned by Scorpio! members link is 
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs?cmm=1513&tid=5218779100256255763&na=3&npn=2&nid=1513-5218779100256255763-5268459674366465490 [Sep 1, 2015 – no longer valid link]

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Jun 1, 2012

There’s something nice about the following to add here. Maybe it’s just because the transiting Moon moves to Scorpio today… Whether you’re in the Western hemisphere, just starting your day, or in the Eastern hemisphere where your day is winding down, I hope you’ll take time to enjoy this…

http://animoto.com/play/1v3ffsCvS0omzSpkqB7OcA

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Prakhar Mishra - Orkut Prakhar Mishra – Jun 1, 2012

HEY 

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Jun 1, 2012

Prakhar Mishra - Orkut ¢вι ▷▷ αg3ηт ▷▷ เภtєllเﻮєภςє ςєll▷▷”PЯΛΚΉΛЯ”:

HEY 

??? That’s all you have to say? You must be a new member. 

Sireesha - Orkut shot Sireesha Inturi – Jun 1, 2012

Prakhar Mishra - Orkut ¢вι ▷▷ αg3ηт ▷▷ เภtєllเﻮєภςє ςєll▷▷”PЯΛΚΉΛЯ”:

HEY

wow, that’s is such a short reply to such a post..

Prakhar Mishra - Orkut Prakhar Mishra – Jun 1, 2012

Yups.I’m a new member. 

LOL @ Sireesha Inturi

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Jun 7, 2012

Search for Meaning

This somehow fits here. We all search for what makes our lives better, fuller, more meaningful. This is short. Just 4 minutes 26 seconds. I chose the captioned version because Dr. Frankl speaks with a very thick accent, so he can be hard to understand here and there. He’s a psychiatrist. He’s also a Holocaust survivor. Please watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=R_bjOeECpjI

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Jun 8, 2012

Special thoughts for today…

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Mar 2

It seems quite appropriate to bring this thread to the surface again at long last. Aamir Khan is back with Season 2, Episode 1 ofSatyamev Jayate. I haven’t yet been able to see the episode since it’s not yet offered with English subtitles, and my Hindi is definitely too poor to follow at such a rapid pace, much less with all of the vocabulary I still have to learn. Nevertheless, it’s an important topic that could have been placed in the thread on Nirbhaya, or even the thread on Malala. It’s a sensitive subject, but important for all of us. 

I’m going to add something here before I offer these posts. It seems relevant to the moment:

“To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man’s injustice to woman. If by strength is meant brute strength, then, indeed, is woman less brute than man. If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man’s superior. Has she not greater intuition, is she not more self-sacrificing, has she not greater powers of endurance, has she not greater courage? Without her, man could not be. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman. Who can make a more effective appeal to the heart than woman?”

[To the Women of India (Young India, Oct. 4, 1930)]”

Gandhiji said (or wrote) that. It seems to me that Aamir Khan in his effort to address women and women’s rights, honors women and the challenges they face in what’s often a hostile world–especially through that first sentence. Thankfully, I have the opportunity to repeat what I’ve said countless times already to individual men as well as here: “Man’s injustice” does not mean all men! I’m blessed to know several even in this community who stand apart and above such injustices. Those men include NitinMurali,AnubhavPuneetVishalKiran, and Sagar.

Aamir Khan’s Satyamev Jayate Season 2 Episode On Rape: What You Missed
    By IndiaTimes | March 2, 2014, 1:00 pm IST

Aamir Khan’s talk show ‘Satyamev Jayate’ returned for another season this Sunday and its second innings started with a bang. The first episode focussed on the epidemic of violence against women that has gripped the nation since the horrific Delhi gangrape incident of December 16, 2012. If you didn’t watch the show, here’s what you missed:

The State Of Police Apathy

Aamir highlighted the indifference shown towards victims and their families by police officers who are meant to enforce justice but instead shame and ridicule them. Aamir even interviewed the parents of a girl who committed suicide after being humiliated by officers. Some important information was also shared with viewers about the rights they can exercise against an officer who refuses to file an FIR (such as registering a case against the officer under Section 166A of the Indian Penal Code).

The Re-Rape Of Victims By Doctors

The show examined the hurdles a rape victim goes through during every step she takes following assault. The next segment examined the kind of horrors a rape victim faces at hospitals where she is discouraged by doctors to take up the case and subjected to the humiliating and illegal two finger test. Aamir also interviewed a doctor and activist working to standardize the process doctors must follow when examining a rape victim. Another important piece of information shared was the fact that no hospital, public or private, can refuse a rape victim and they are compelled to examine her in a professional and thorough fashion.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Mar 2, 2014

When Justice Is Blind To Justice

The third segment of the show exposed the kind of treatment meted out by courts and lawyers to victims. Horrific instances were highlighted, one being where a victim’s undergarments were openly displayed in the middle of the courtroom. Aamir interviewed a woman who’d been fighting to have her case heard for over 21 years, despite having shown dilligence in collecting every bit of evidence possible. The segment also featured a short interview with retired judge Usha Mehra, whose report had proposed the establishment of a one stop rape crisis centre that would facilitate speedy trials.

Breaking Down Societal Prejudice

Aamir then went on to highlight the kind of prejudice we label rape victims with as a society. Interestingly, research on rape victims showed that the maximum number of crimes happened to women when they were wearing saris or burqas, banishing the myth that the victim might have lured her attacker with provocative dressing. Research also showed that no age group was spared, with victims ranging from the ages of 2-93.

Showcasing The Spirit Of Survivors

The stories of rape survivors were celebrated with two women, Suzette Jordan (Park Street, Kolkata) and Urmila Singh Bharti (Madhya Pradesh), sharing their experiences on the show. The women admitted to being ostracized, abused, humiliated and bogged down by the system and society they lived in, but their spirit shined through at the end of the day and they are now working to help other victims fight their cases.

Sona Mohapatra Sings ‘Bekhauf’

Just like in the last season, the episode ended with a touching song on the matter discussed. Sung by Sona Mohapatra and composed by Ram Sampth, the lyrics of ‘Bekhauf’ spoke of a victim’s desire to live without fear.

http://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/aamir-khans-satyamev-jayate-season-2-episode-on-rape-what-you-missed-131589.html
    ©2014 Times Internet Limited

Here’s Episode 1 of Season 2 in Hindi. Hopefully by the time I wake up, the episode will again be online in English too. I’m eager to see it.:
    http://www.satyamevjayate.in/Fighting-Rape/EPISODE-1Watchvideo.aspx?uid=E1-EV-V1&lang=hindi

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle Young – Mar 2, 2014

Satyamev Jayate 2 Wishlist: 7 Issues We’d Like To See Addressed

The first season of Satyamev Jayate proved to be a game-changing experiment for television, that was, at the time, bursting at the seams with mindless entertainment in the form of reality shows and saas-bahu serials. The bar has now been set higher than ever what with the far-reaching impact the show had on the masses with its focus on burning social issues. What we can expect from season 2 of Satyamev Jayate is being kept under tight wraps but here’s our wishlist of matters we’d like to see Aamir Khan explore on the show:

By Alisha Coelho, IndiaTimes |  February 28, 2014, 6:00 am IST

7. Racism: The recent murder of Nido Taniam in the capital has forced us to take a closer look at how we are racist towards our own countrymen. An episode on the same would go a long way in helping people do away with their ethnocentric fears of those who look or speak differently.

6. Voter Apathy: It’s election year and thus important that you go out and cast your vote. However apathy has never been higher and especially in the urban region where even the most educated among us have utter disregard for this fundamental right.

5. Acid Attacks: India has no official statistics on the number of acid attacks that take place every year, but they appear with alarming regularity in newspapers across the nation. Satyamev Jayate 2 would do well to highlight the stories of survivors and those working to prevent this horrendous crime.

4. Technology Addiction: An unhealthy obsession with cellphones and social networking sites has led to an increase in stalking, harassment and depression among young people. This episode (if made) would strike a chord with many a teenager out there

3. Suicide Prevention: In a country where having a mental disorder instantly earns you a ‘crazy’ label, an episode on depression and suicide would certainly make those suffering from low self worth feel like they’re not alone.

2. Child Racketeering: With babies being sold from Rs 100 to Rs 8 lakh through Facebook, child racketeering has never been as rampant as it is today. Maybe an episode on the same could help wake dozing authorities out of the stupor they’re in

1. Counterfeit Medication: Because of illiteracy and more worryingly, ignorance, crores of people gullibly lap up counterfeit medication sold by quacks, shady medicine men and pharmacists with no moral compass. An episode filled with case studies and tips on how to recognize counterfeit medication would be extremely educational.

http://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/satyamev-jayate-2-wishlist-7-issues-wed-like-to-see-addressed-130882.html
    ©2014 Times Internet Limited. 

For me, the subject areas I feel need to be emphasized would be numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. How about you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.