Astronomy, Science and Technology

About Me Forums Scorpio! Astronomy, Science and Technology

This topic contains 28 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Expecto Patronum 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

Like the thread in Orkut, this is a thread to share the latest in the world of Astronomy and Physics.
    What better than Pluto to start this – the underworld, the Scorpio ruler, the planet?

These are some of Pluto’s pictures taken from about 3.3 million miles away by NASA’s New Horizon Spacecraft in June. We should be seeing even better pictures Tuesday morning on July 14, when it gets closest to Pluto. Scientist hope to get more information about Pluto’s atmosphere and its surface.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/11/pluto-planet-new-images/30015113/

“Live streaming” of the event information is here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/07/13/pluto-new-horizons-nasa-flyby/30087043/

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

How wonderful, Expecto!! Thank you so much for this! This will punctuate the old files nicely as the old files are uploaded over the coming weeks. What a delightful surprise! :good:

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

My pleasure. Can’t find the “like” button again.

Here are the latest pictures. O’ it’s wonderful!

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/index.html

Christine

Hi Expecto,

Working on the Like button issue, there are quite a few updates that need to be done that I believe will resolve this issue. Please bare with me while I make a few changes to the site. I see there is a favorite button in the mean time. Let me know if you notice any other glitches.
    Thank you! And I hope to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

Thanks, Keymaster Delacruztine. 🙂
    Can we also have a hyperlink the number under “posts” to take us to the last post? Please. 🙂

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

Next Sunday, Sept 27th, is a supermoon lunar eclipse. Just that this (super)moon will appear a little bigger, the (eclipsed) blood-moon will look even more impressive. Go out and watch it – it’s a wonderful experience!

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-scientist-sheds-light-on-rare-sept-27-supermoon-eclipse

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

What a fabulous idea, Expecto! Thank you!

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

I think, Expecto every video shows, but then as I recall all NASA videos are also on YouTube which may be why. 😉

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

I seem to recall that all members of the communities whould be able to see these threads somehow, but I think the way that happens is for them to click the little box at the bottom left of the community which automatically subscribes them to the thread.

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

This is a nice depiction of the real sizes in our solar system. The last minute or so is …staggering, as he says.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Thank you so much, Expecto!!! I tried so hard to post this and the other video they have, to no avail. They never replied to my request for help either. sighhh

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Btw, Expecto, did you notice they left out Pluto? In a Pluto-ruled (yes, and Mars too) Scorpio community, I should think you, among many, would be horrified at such a thought! Even I was taken aback. :scratch:

😥

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

I noticed. Guess it’s not considered a planet afterall. :scratch: 🙂

Expecto Patronum
    Participant

And will take a 14 mile radius perhaps.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Keeping with the theme of dear old Pluto, one of the great rulers of Scorpio if you’re a modern astrologer–and if you’re a traditional astrologer, I don’t suppose you’ll care much anyway since you’ll be more inclined to keep a focus on Mars, but surely even you don’t just ignore our Scorpio buddy, dear ol’ Pluto! So in his honor–whether “he” is the Disney dog or that planet/dwarf, speck of space people don’t get with the snakeskin (regal as that is, and they can’t make him a king because he’s too small? Forgive me but much of my fmaily is too!)–you might enjoy this video…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.