A strange request for discussion, but…. (Nov 19, 2008)

About Me Forums Scorpio! A strange request for discussion, but…. (Nov 19, 2008)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 19, 2008
    A strange request for discussion, but….

Hi everyone, 

I’ll appreciate if I could get some replies about this. I’m positive I answered correctly, but someone disagreed with me on a local blog the newspaper here does, so I’d like as many comments as possible, and then I’ll delete this in a few days because it’s really not appropriate to the community, but I figured I might get more replies in a separate thread than I would in Thread thread where I might have otherwise posted it.

Chicken biryani: Is it Indian or Pakistani? Yes, I know Pakistan and India were one till August 1947. That doesn’t answer the question.

A woman on the blog insists that it’s Indian and she “should know” because she “cooks Indian food frequently.” Well, bully for her, but I could swear that both Indian and Pakistani friends of mine have said biryani is Pakistani. So? Which is it?

Sumit Grover – Nov 19, 2008

My Thoughts
    As far as I know ( My General knowledge is probably on the lower end of spectrum compared with an average Scorpio! moderator  ) .. Biryani originated from Nawabs of Hyderabad, India. But, as I said its just my knowledge and you shouldnt believe that!

Wikipedia says its East Asian and was spread my Muslim travellers, Lets settle with “Origin, Unknown”

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaNov 19, 2008

I honestly don’t think India or Pakistan could claim biriyani to be theirs even though it is a very popular dish in both places. I always thought it was an Arab food. So I went on to do some research and most of the webpages say that biriyani is brought to India by Arab travelers.

Murali Murali SankarNov 19, 2008

I agree with Irene. All I know is that even long before 1947, biriyani was famous here. 🙂

RiaZ .. – Nov 19, 2008

Agree with above.

That’s what google says 😐

Now gee, people, I did the research, but that’s not what gave me the idea about Pakistan! Someone or more than someone here gave me this idea! lol So I’m interested in what you believed: Pakistan? India? Elsewhere, like Irene mentioned? Come on! Expand your horizons here and tell me what you thought! lol

RiaZ .. – Nov 19, 2008

The first 9 out of 10 links on the very first page of Google mentions Biryani being Pakistani & I asked my mum and she was of the view that it’s Pakistani & Indian as it’s famous in both countries, so both of the two neighbors can’t actually claim property rights over the spicy recipe I think lol as it was it was spread throughout the Middle East and South Asia (and Southeast Asia to an extent) by Muslim travelers and merchants, and is very popular in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

I have nothing to contribute now, but surely, this is one thread that is surely delicious. 

Janhvi and all

Yes, it helped immensely, thanks! The newspaper editor in charge of this particular blog wrote in reply to all the great comments from each of you:

“WOW. All I can say is thanks for all this wonderful research and insight! YOU should be writing this blog!”

lol More, I enjoyed learning about each of your thoughts on the subject–and some great history. For those of you who are interested, here are reference URLs I included in my reply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biryani
    http://www.rediff.com/money/2004/apr/09spec.htm
    http://www.indiacurry.com/rice/r002backdropbiryani.htm
    http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/life/2004/02/23/stories/2004022300120100.htm

I hope those of you who read it find some good and new knowledge you hadn’t yet discovered.  Let me know whether you want me to delete the thread or if I should leave it since it’s not related directly to the community more than my having the help of so many members of Scorpio! 

Btw, I would have answered earlier, but I was out buying myself a new, long overdue winter jacket this morning.

I would trust that The Hindu article, The Biriyani Chronicler. The Hindu is a newspaper with such a good reputation. 🙂

Neo
    I’m not positive about this, but I could swear that the reporter who interviewed me for an Indian newspaper a few years ago (well, I guess it was about 5 or 6 years now) was from the Hindu. Come to think of it, it wasn’t that long ago. It was for Chennai edition of the Christmas issue of the paper when that typhoon hit. I think it was Madhuri who tried to find it there and couldn’t because she wasn’t in Chennai.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Nikhil Londhe – Nov 23, 2008
    @Hallowed,

You’re SO wrong! Maybe you haven’t really understood what kind of topics go into the bin:

Anything that typecasts people into tight twelve compartments of people, anything thats biased against any person /region /religion and may hurt someone’s sentiments is whats thrown out.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Rohitdev Kulshrestha – Nov 24, 2008

Lets break it down from the ingrdients.

1. Rice(needs lot of wet soil and water to grow.Hardly possible to grow it in middle east).
    2. Spices(Ancient and current trades reveal India and south-east asia were the primary suppliers.)http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/spice_trade.php .

It was invented by the nizam and mughal empires in indian continent.Their empires spread from parts of middle east to Indian continent.So probably both india and pakistan can claim their rights on it. 

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 24, 2008
    Hallowed
    Thanks for the kind comments, Hallowed. I knew you were teasing, but I’m glad you explained so Janhvi, Niki (my pet name for Nikhil), and everyone else here knows it too. 

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 25, 2008
    Viktor
    Ohhh? You make biryani? 

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 25, 2008
    Viktor
    Hmmm, in that case, I’ll be there for Arroz con Pollo and Paella and I’ll spend the night and enjoy Biryani the next night, okay? lol Don’t forget the Flan for dessert, of course. Oh, btw, do you do Beef Wellington? 

(People, if Viktor ever really did this, I’d be totally blown away from such kindness!  But then I’d need to show him how to feast Chinese, Italian and Jewish style when he got to my place! lol)

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 26, 2008
    Viktor
    Are you saying I am unkind?!?!?

No, dear, I am not. Do you think I would knowingly invite an unkind person to my home to be spoiled with a lavish feast? 

Murali Murali SankarNov 26, 2008
    Ali

What are you going to cook? 

Ali
    hi
    hmmmmmmmm
    welcome me 

lol! You’ve been a member two years, and you’re just asking to be welcomed now?  How about “welcome! I’m so glad you’re posting and hope you continue!” 

Neo
    How are you feeling today? Better I hope?

Michelle wonders if she inadvertently sent her sick bug to Neo–and hopes she didn’t. [August 30, 2015: Wish I knew how to work with color coding. That sentence was in pink. sigh…I think maybe learning Hindi is a bit easier! :unsure: :whistle: :yes: ]

Kanchana D Kanchan DNov 26, 2008
    Hurrah for Biryani! We should try talking about other dishes so that other members would start to open up as well. But then,, this aint a food community. 

Btw, i had briyani today!! Fantastico! 

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaNov 26, 2008
    Michelle
    How are you feeling now? 

Kanchana,

Food discussion would be awesome… but like you said it is not a food community 

The first thing that I ask when my see my friends in India online every day is what they had for breakfast. I miss Indian breakfast …NO time to make it here…

RiaZ .. – Nov 26, 2008
    Talking about Biryani….I just had my mum’s handmade Biryani last night.

It was so tasty, that I think I ate half of the dish lol & still was searching for more, when ultimately she had to hide it somewhere from me.

It had a ever lasting tasteful effect in my stomach, that’s really hard to forget.

Irene

The sore throat is finally gone. It was so severe, it was like a knife had cut the inside, so you know how relieved I am. My lungs are still clearing out but I know that’s healing too since I’m able to sleep through most of the night again.

Tell me what an Indian breakfast is like. This is one area where I think we in North America might understand least since there’s more likelihood of our taking breakfast as we know it the least. I’ve made simple or semi-fancy American breakfasts, Italian breakfasts, Jewish breakfasts, even something along the lines of a Chinese breakfast although the majority of the world might not understand it. I’ve loved the Brazilian breakfasts I had! But I’ve never had the pleasure of an Indian breakfast, and now you’ve piqued my curiosity!

Riaz
    It was so tasty, that I think I ate half of the dish lol & still was searching for more, when ultimately she had to hide it somewhere from me.

lol This reminds me of how I have to hide the sauce when I make pasta and meatballs because my youngest son is sooooo good at finding all the meatballs and eating them before I’m aware! This is the same son who, when he was little, would draw pathways through the frosting on his (or anyone else’s) birthday cake! lol

Ashwini Nandgeri Baranwal – Nov 26, 2008
    Technically

speaking the mughals ruled the now Pakistan and India..
    they were called turks.. turki [the t is pronounced as in French “feth”
    as in ‘bon feth’]

The mughals landed from Persia.

Aurangzeb ruled a then state called Hyderabad[at present capital city of Andra pradesh state] in the southern part of India.

So many of them assume the biryani to be from India as on every restaurant menu you find hyderabadi biryani.

But I guess thats not the fact.[Logically im hitting the bulls eye blindfolded.Just the way the argument started.][I need to stop here.. my baby just began a slow whine..

RiaZ .. – Nov 26, 2008
    Michelle
    Pasta and meatballs.

Yummy!!!

I’m fantasizing of them right now.

I think, that dish would be haunting me, in my dream till I don’t get my hands on them lol.

Riaz
    Pasta and meatballs.

Yummy!!!

I’m fantasizing of them right now.

I think, that dish would be haunting me, in my dream till I don’t get my hands on them lol. 

lol I always make homemade sauce. And a good sauce needs good meatballs, so yes, I make those too. lol Well, that is, unless I’m making Eggplant Parmegiana or something that doesn’t need meatballs. lol I just have to hide any extra meatballs when I make them, or there won’t be any extras. For that matter, I have to stand close to the stove when I’m making the meatballs because the boys try to distract me so they can steal them right from the pan! lol

Ashwini
    How is the baby?  Imagine: as young as she is, she’s not even the youngest here anymore! lol

Murali Murali SankarNov 26, 2008
    Michelle

I’m getting better and better and I don’t think you passed me the bug . I found a quick remedy for my sore-throat. I just stopped talking to anyone for a whole day.  It helped. Today I was able to talk over the phone without much discomfort, for 5 minutes. Then I started to cough. But it is better. Tablets are doing their part well too. 🙂 I will be normal in another 24 hours. I am sure.

Neo

I hope you’re right. I wasn’t as lucky. I’m still amazed that I didn’t have the usual symptoms I’m used to with bronchitis.

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaNov 26, 2008
    Indian breakfast

Michelle… the breakfast we used to have in India are basically South Indian, since I am from the South  I have nooo idea how North Indian breakfast is like but all my north Indian friends like the Southie breakfast… So these are some of my favorites

Dosa- made out of rice and lentil batter… it will remind you of a crepe

Iddli- again made out of rice and lentil batter, but the batter consistency is different compared to the dosa batter. Iddlies look like small cakes… you need special pans to make them. It is steamed actually

Both Iddli and dosa can be eaten with Sambhar (sicy soup with lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, drumstick, few other vegetables, and spices) or coconut chutney. Yummmyyy

Uppuma-cream of wheat, but with spices like ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, curry leaves, onion, and some red chilli flakes

Chapathi- Wheat bread with potato curry

and many many many moreeeee… yummyyy…

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Murali Murali SankarNov 27, 2008
    Just trying to elaborate on what Irene said:

The batter used for Dosa or Idli has both rice and lentil. For Dosa, the batter is loose so that you can spread it over a flat pan easily. For Idli, the batter is more thick and it is steam-cooked. 

We have Idli cooker here. 😀

Another popular breakfast dish in South India is the ‘Puttu’ (read, Put with a stress given to the ‘t’). It is made from rice or wheat flour. The recipe is simple. Prepare the dough with flour and water. Salt is added, so here, at my home, brine is used. The dough is mixed with coconut scrapings and then is cooked in steam. The variety in making ‘Puttu’ lies on how it is cooked. The most famous variety is ‘Kutti puttu’ (ku-tea puTT ). To make this there is a special device. It resembles a rocket. 😀 The cylindrical part can be filled with the dough and coconut scrapings alternatively(say 3 handful of dough followed by 1 handful of coconut scrapings) till the ‘kutti’ is filled. The base of this ‘kutti’ has a slotted disc that lets steam into the dough. Water is boiled in a pot over which this ‘kutti’ is kept. The steam rises up through the dough, cooking it. when it is ready, just life the ‘kutti’, open it, push the disc from behind using any rod. there comes the ‘kutti puttu’ from the other end. LOL !!!

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 27, 2008
    Viktor
    Michelle, I know, was just teasing

I knew that. lol 

Or did you think I was born yesterday?  

(If you did, I may have to think of some way to tap a pipeline to you for instant self-confidence boosts. lol)

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungNov 27, 2008
    Irene and Neo

Fascinating!! In some ways, the Dosa and Iddli remind me of varieties of dim sum most people don’t know about unless they make the dishes themselves–or go to Chinatown. lol The various mixtures used with dim sum will also depend on whether they’re fried, steamed, boiled or baked, filled or not. 

I think I’m going to need to explore some more of the world of Indian and Pakistani cooking! Perhaps I’ll even get to learn how to make kheer! Yummmmm!

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaNov 27, 2008
    Michelle

Next time when you go to an Indian restaurant in their menu look under Southern Specialties. They will have iddli, uttappam, and atleast 5-6 different varieties of dosas. Try some when you get chance. It is quite good. Yummmyyy…

Murali Murali SankarNov 27, 2008

Yes yes. Especially my favourites
    1. Ghee Dosa. It is thinner than nomral Dosa and the ghee added in pretty good amount will make it crisp. 

2. Masala Dosa too. It is Dosa filled with Potato curry. Curry sandwitched in Dosas. 🙂

Irene - Orkut shot Irene D’SilvaNov 27, 2008
    Neo
    Last time when I was in India I was there for I think 21 days. Out of those 21 days I had Masala Dosa like 18 days or so… Those are my favorite…. Yummm

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Virdah Khan – Nov 28, 2008
    The aromas brought me here…

I tried the South Indian food recently & it’s amazing. Specially Dosa & Saambar (I’m not sure about the pronounciation). I have noticed that Indians use so little oil while cooking & an indian Biryani will look & tatse much different from it’s Pakistani version.

Whatever as long as it’s edible, it really doesn’t matter :D. Especially true for the food in the Sub Continent.

Michelle Young
    Keymaster

Ashwini Nandgeri Baranwal – Dec 1, 2008
    Michelle

Lkisha[baby] is fine,thank you.She’s in her dreamworld, laughing,smiling and all of a sudden making a frown and crying..im enjoying being a mother. I even forget my surgical pain when I look at her.

Hey besides all this she is nocturnal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.