Reply To: Music, Music, Music! ORIGINAL, started May 16, 2012

About Me Forums Scorpio! Music, Music, Music! ORIGINAL, started May 16, 2012 Reply To: Music, Music, Music! ORIGINAL, started May 16, 2012

Michelle Young
Keymaster

Michelle - Orkut shot Michelle YoungJun 6, 2012
I was raised with classical music, opera, folk music and much more. My father and mother used to play the opera from the New York City Metropolitan Opera Company (The Met) every Saturday when the performances aired, and one of my brothers worked backstage on the scenery. Much to the dismay of our local police, he would carry me on the handlebars of his bike, and we would sing the arias from the current performances to and from home. By the time I was 10, I was performing in the children’s chorus in the local opera company’s performance of Carmen (the local company is extraordinary, btw) and later in a performance of Il Tabarro e Suor Angelica. (Carmen is in French, the others in Italian)

Anyway, I wasn’t the only singer in the family. One of my Italian cousins used to sing Ave Maria in her Catholic Church, still the most breathtaking performance I have ever heard. And another of my cousins became an opera singer. I just found a regional opera company YouTube in which he performed, so I thought I’d share it. L’Elisir d’Amore (Elixir of Love), by Donizetti. The Met offers the following synopsis of this melodramatic opera:  
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/history/stories/synopsis.aspx?id=122

And here is my cousin’s performance. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think. It’s the first time I’ve heard him sing. When he was performing locally, I didn’t have the chance to get there, so this was pretty exciting for me.